Sign in with
Your question

GFX Card Failure + PSU Upgrade

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 12, 2009 10:51:21 AM

For starters, here are my specs, sorry if they are too detailed I copied most of it from an Everest Report:

Computer Type ACPI x86-based PC
Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate
CPU Type QuadCore Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2400 MHz (9 x 267)
Motherboard Name Asus Berkeley
Motherboard Chipset Intel Bearlake G31
System Memory 3072 MB
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS (256 MB)
Total Size (HDD) 465.8 GB

So here is my issue, I've been using the NVIDIA 7950 GT 512MB Superclocked EVGA for the past 4 months, I'm an avid gamer so this was extremely beneficial to me. Yesterday I turned the computer on as usual but this time got no display and got the dreaded beeps, 2 short beeps and 1 long beep which i know by my motherboard brand is a GFX issue. I removed it and replaced it with my original 8400 GS which is completely dire, and as you could guess I need to find a way to resolve the problem as to get my higher spec GFX working again. I believe it could come to soldering as a last resort, this is still quite an expensive GFX card and as I'm not royalty I can't really afford to replace it.

Does anybody have any idea what I could possibly do to fix it? I took it apart and there is nothing physically wrong with it, nothing has been damaged or melted. The computer has been relatively cool throughout its life and has never exceeded its safe temperature.

When I first installed the 7950 GT I got a message telling me it had been brought to the standard of my PSU, which is fair enough as I was still getting extremely high FPS for gaming. It told me it had set it to the PSU Maximum and that it would be safer and more sufficient, yet yesterday everything turned upside down.

I'm also wanting to upgrade my PSU for the sake of efficiency and I was wondering, would it be a simple upgrade as in maybe getting a 600/650W and replacing it, or do I have to take into consideration the brand and whatnot? Sorry for the long post I just wanted to get everything out so you know I'm not a tool.

Thanks for any help.

Craig
a b Î Nvidia
March 12, 2009 11:37:25 AM

A 7950 is sufficiently old that even a $60 4650 is three tiers higher on Cleeve's chart. The 4650 (or even a 4670) is efficient enough that it doesn't need auxilliary power either. What is your total budget, what games do you play, and what is your monitor's resolution? What brand and model of PSU do you have now?
March 12, 2009 11:38:01 AM

Well could u please give more info on the motherboard and PSU u are using and how much u are willing to spend for the graphics card and the PSU combined...it will help us in helping u better...
Related resources
March 12, 2009 2:07:48 PM

Onus said:
A 7950 is sufficiently old that even a $60 4650 is three tiers higher on Cleeve's chart. The 4650 (or even a 4670) is efficient enough that it doesn't need auxilliary power either. What is your total budget, what games do you play, and what is your monitor's resolution? What brand and model of PSU do you have now?

I know the 7950 is old, but it gives me 500 FPS on the game that I play and that's all I'm bothered about and it even runs F.E.A.R 2 on maximum flawlessly so I'd be extremely happy to find a way to fix it.

The PSU says Bestec ATX-300-12V on it, presumably the 300 is the Wattage and obviously V is volts... It's rubbish, and I could get a 650W PSU for about $38 delivered (I'm from UK so converted it), but not sure if I need same brand or if the Wattage will affect my other components, I'm kinda new in that aspect.

The most I could spend on a GFX card would be about $70, but i'd have to take a recommended one from you guys and then find it somewhere in the UK.

Thanks for the replies.

P.S...

Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID 64-0508-000001-00101111-081607-Bearlake$0AAAA000_BIOS DATE: 08/16/07 13:25:46 VER: 5.08
Motherboard Name Asus Berkeley

Front Side Bus Properties:
Bus Type Intel AGTL+
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 267 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 1067 MHz
Bandwidth 8533 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties:
Bus Type Intel Direct Media Interface

Motherboard Manufacturer:
Company Name ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
Product Information http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3

That's everything I have on my motherboard.
March 12, 2009 2:26:07 PM

Sorry for double post but I'm distracted, I missed some answers.

I only play Counterstrike: Source regularly, whereas I sometimes play more high-end games, COD5 and such. I think my monitors highest resolution is 1440x900.

In addition to the 7950 being old (for some reason i'm not allowed to edit my post), it is the 512MB Superclocked version which is considerably better than the standard 7950.

Thanks again.
a b Î Nvidia
March 12, 2009 5:42:32 PM

Best buy in your price range is still the HD4670. Search; Overclockers, Scan, CCL, Ebuyer and Eclipse Computers to name a few.
The PSU is a overlooked component in most builds and there is a lot of C**p out there, and it`s usually cheap! Best quality; Corsair, Seasonic PC Power and Cooling, Antec and OCZ but as a guide, look to the output on the 12v rails, older (cheaper) designs tend to put a lot of amps on the 5v line and less on the 12v, a good ish PSU of 650Watts will give at least 36A on the 12v side.
!