HP DeskJet 6122

geminiguy

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2001
I saw the new release of the HP DJ6122, it seems very impressive on the stats:
-Prints upto 20ppm black, 13 ppm Color.
-dpi 4800 x 1200.
-USB connection.
Does anyone know more on this or own it? I need a new printer desperatly. It's retailing for $199. Is it better or equal to the HP PhotoSmart 7350? same stats (4800x1200), just a memory card reader also, same price $199.

Any thoughts on which printer I should get? Is there a better one that I am not aware of? I would appreciate any information available.

Thanx,

Gem

Lamoni

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
You posted your question a while ago so you probably already purchased your printer. The HP printers print great text and photos and if you got one, you will probably be happy with it. The newer ones are even getting better on speed. I would still recommend the Canon printers though. They also print great text and photos, but maybe not quite as good as HP. The difference is not very noticeable though. The main reason to go with Canon is the cost. Read the last few articles on Tom's Hardware Guide on printers. The Canon is much cheaper to own, and it sells for cheaper. It is also faster than HP

They just put out a new printer, the i850. I haven't read any tests on how much ink it uses, but it uses the same cartridges as the S750 so I doubt it would be much more and the cartridges are still cheap. The price is the same as the printers you are looking at ($199), but it can be found cheaper on the Internet. I just ordered one for myself for just under $185 after shipping. It supports USB 2.0 and firewire and is rated at up to 22 ppm in black.

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Yep, just installed this one today. I print out alot of journal articles, mostly pdf files with black and white text, some colour figures. So wanted a fast printer that could do double sided prinitng automatically. I have to say it is performing as well as I had hoped. The normal fast mode is pretty quick.

A good hint for the new HP printers is to reduce the ink volume in the printer set up. Even on light you get perfectly readable text. Would be nice to know exactly how much ink it is possible to save this way.