Sign in with
Your question

Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 for x64-base

Last response: in Windows 7
December 12, 2009 3:29:07 PM

Has anyone had any issues with uploading an update for: Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 for x64-based Systems (KB973688). I've continuously receive an error stating this update failed. I've been trying to figure what could be the cause. I just purchased a new laptop (Acer - Aspire) that was preloaded with Windows 7. All other updates have been sucessful. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, has anyone had any trouble with installing MS 2007 software on Windows 7; do you forsee my current issue hindering future MS 2007 install? I'm currently using MS 2003. Thanks!
a b $ Windows 7
December 14, 2009 12:41:48 AM

What activates the update? You or Windows Update itself? Is there a description saying what the update is for, and why you need it?
m
l
December 14, 2009 1:44:08 AM

Microsoft is who prompts for the update. Why or the need, I don't know other than I'm prompted with a message that reads, "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance." This same message came up again when I had researched same issue on Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor (Microsoft Download Center).

I've also researched further and found that error may be associated with registry; something I don't know anything about and don't pretend to as I'm not an IT guru in any sense of the word. Any suggestions? Please note, that this OS was preinstalled with the computer.
m
l
August 6, 2011 6:16:44 PM

For those that have not solved this as of yet, here is how I solved it.

1) Download the standalone package for the updates from the link given below:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?display...

2) Click start and type "regedit" (no quotes) and go to : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes

3) Give permissions to the SYSTEM and Administrator for any folder in Classes that starts with "Msxm", and ends with "4.0"
To do this, right click on each folder and click "Permissions", then highlight "SYSTEM" by clicking on it, click the check
boxes for "Full Control" and "Read". Repeat for "Administrators". Do this with all 12 folders.

4) Now just run the update and it will install perfectly.

If you are worried about security, you can go in and change the permissions back after install.
m
l
!