Q9300 + Hyper 212 Plus + Abit IP35 Pro High Temps

gldtiamat

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
Hey All,

So I've done a search on Q9300 and temperatures, and have run into quite a number of posts regarding Q9300 and high temperatures. The only difference with my post, however, is that I actually have an aftermarket heatsink and decent TIM.

I'm using Arctic Silver 5 and a Hyper 212 Plus on a new Q9300. I've attempted reseating the heatsink, but have not noticed a substantial difference in temperatures when doing this.

Using both Coretemp and Realtemp, my idle/load temps are like this:

Core 0: 55/66
Core 1: 50/61
Core 2: 51/61
Core 3: 49/60

Both programs are the latest version and have set the TJMAX to 100.

I'm...just at a loss for what to do about these temps. One thing that I did notice was that my motherboard is NOT able to set my vcore in bios under 1.2375. As a result, I've OCed my CPU to 3.0 stable in Prime 95. At least in small ftts, blend is giving me some fits.

If anyone has any helpful advice/suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm also hoping the cure in time for the AS5 might make a difference, but a lot of people have been saying odds are no.

Another question is which temp should I look at? Use Core 0 since it's the highest, or the other 3 since they're all much more similar in kind. Thanks!

Solution
I have an i7 930 with a GA-X58A-UD3R Gigabyte motherboard and I have always had high idle temps and low load temps (for the most part) I have tried many different types of thermal paste and the stock intel heatsink, corsair h50, thermaltake spinq, and now am using the megahalems with push pull. After spending dozens of hours trying to figure out wtf was wrong and having posted many threads on Toms I gave up and said as long as my idle temps are less then 52 then whatever, Even underclocked my temps are 40-46 idle with this heatsink and scythe kaze fans @ 3krpm and when overclocked to 4.2ghz idle temps are 48-53 so don't worry it's not a huge deal, the peak / load temps are what really matter and yours are fine but if you do find any way...

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Well, for a moderate OC, those load temps would be justified but you've only got it @ 3.0 so that is just weird, as for your idle temps... you should be sitting in the low-mid 30's so something is afoot here...

How much AS5 did you apply?

gldtiamat

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
I tinted the heatsink so that the gaps between the heatsink were filled and evened out with the direct heat pipes. I then placed a small line of AS5 down the middle.

I'm actually thinking my room's ambient temperature is playing a huge role. It's summer in CA, and my AC only goes to about 78 (because the bill would be killer otherwise), and my room faces the sun and probably hits in the 80-82 range.

Last night, when temps dropped...I was idling in the 46-50 range. Which while isn't great, isn't too terrible. Especially since my voltage is at 1.2375 when I've heard people could volt at 1.3 and get my OC.

But...who really knows. My comp is once again idling in the low 50s now that the temperature has picked up. And that 5 degree difference is fairly substantial.

:p I don't think you should fill the lines in the heatsink, Just apply the TIM normally a small rice sized thermal paste onthe middle and spread it evenly till you get a thin layer of AS5. You should try to fill in the spaces as overlapping the TIM will just make temps rise because of air bubbles, etc.

Not from Arctic Cooling, but still same can be said, BTW IC7 is great they had a free trial for THG regs and IC24 was free :D Fantastic by the way using it now.

http://innovationcooling.com/applicationinstructions.htm

gldtiamat

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
I'm beginning to think it's a heat sensor issue. I opened up my side panel while my Comp was running Prime 95 and my load temps were at 65, but I couldn't feel ANY heat coming off of the base of the heat pipes or the heat sink.

Now normally, this would make me think that maybe the Heatsink isn't attached properly. But if that were the case, if the Hyper 212 Plus wasn't attached, wouldn't my load temps be that much more higher?

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I have an i7 930 with a GA-X58A-UD3R Gigabyte motherboard and I have always had high idle temps and low load temps (for the most part) I have tried many different types of thermal paste and the stock intel heatsink, corsair h50, thermaltake spinq, and now am using the megahalems with push pull. After spending dozens of hours trying to figure out wtf was wrong and having posted many threads on Toms I gave up and said as long as my idle temps are less then 52 then whatever, Even underclocked my temps are 40-46 idle with this heatsink and scythe kaze fans @ 3krpm and when overclocked to 4.2ghz idle temps are 48-53 so don't worry it's not a huge deal, the peak / load temps are what really matter and yours are fine but if you do find any way to fix it let me know.

Good luck

Solution

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Have you ever looked at the motherboard temps? The northbridge? For me the NB temp was high, I ended up lowing it and my cpu temps dropped 4-5ºC.

I got an antec spot fan and had it blowing on the northbridge motherboard chipset heatsink located below the cpu (not underneith)