Solved

AHCI/IDE and Master/Slave

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
August 26, 2010 4:54:50 AM

Is there any difference between AHCI/IDE if I don't have any SSD installed?

Is it wrong to install OS HDD, DVD-Rom and 2nd HDD in Master 0, Slave 0 and Master 1 respectively? How should I configure it when a SSD installed?

Thanks in advance! :D 

More about : ahci ide master slave

August 26, 2010 8:00:50 AM

Its alright. nothing harmed (afai understood your question)

and about ssd, You would probably and any sensible person would install Windows on it, so automatically you have to put ssd on master 0.
m
l
a b G Storage
August 26, 2010 12:55:34 PM

AHCI benefits any SATA drive as long as the OS supports it.

For SATA devices, you don't have master/slave. Does your MB only support IDE? What are the components of your system, such as processor/MB?
m
l
Related resources
August 26, 2010 2:03:30 PM

i7 870 and P55A-UD5. My MB does support AHCI but the default is IDE which I just noticed.

I will have to reinstall the OS after switching to AHCI, right? Another 7~8 hours installing, configuring and updating....

Is it best to set all PCH Sata Control, e-Sata Control and G-Sata Control to AHCI mode? Is it better to disable the onboard IDE controller if I have no IDE device? Which mode should I set my USB3, EHCI(default) or XHCI?

Thank you!
m
l
a b G Storage
August 26, 2010 3:49:54 PM

I think that you don't have to reinstall your OS after switching. If you search this forum or google in general you may be able to find some instructions.

I would set all SATA controllers to AHCI once your OS is set up for it, not sure what PCH & G-sata are though.

Not sure if there's any need to disable onboard IDE if there's nothing attached.
m
l

Best solution

a c 415 G Storage
August 26, 2010 4:29:41 PM

If you're using Windows 7 or Vista then you can switch the BIOS between IDE and AHCI modes by following these steps:

1) Run the Registry Editor (regedit.exe)
2) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
3) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
4) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide
5) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
6) Shut down
7) Start up again, but before Windows boots go into the BIOS configuration screens and change the disk mode to "AHCI". Save the new BIOS configuration and restart so that Windows boots.

When Windows starts, it will detect the change, load new disk drivers, and do one more reboot to start up with them.
August 27, 2010 2:18:31 AM

Thank you very much for the detailed instruction. Could you also tell me what "regedit.exe" does if possible?
m
l
August 27, 2010 2:45:01 AM

Best answer selected by iqvl.
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
August 27, 2010 4:36:14 AM

"Regedit" lets you make changes to the Registry. The Registry stores a huge amount of configuration information that Windows uses. Be careful not to change anything in there accidentally.
m
l
August 27, 2010 4:37:59 AM

So it's just something as its name implies. Thanks!
m
l
!