i7 870 and P55A-UD5. My MB does support AHCI but the default is IDE which I just noticed.
I will have to reinstall the OS after switching to AHCI, right? Another 7~8 hours installing, configuring and updating....
Is it best to set all PCH Sata Control, e-Sata Control and G-Sata Control to AHCI mode? Is it better to disable the onboard IDE controller if I have no IDE device? Which mode should I set my USB3, EHCI(default) or XHCI?
If you're using Windows 7 or Vista then you can switch the BIOS between IDE and AHCI modes by following these steps:
1) Run the Registry Editor (regedit.exe)
2) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
3) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
4) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide
5) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
6) Shut down
7) Start up again, but before Windows boots go into the BIOS configuration screens and change the disk mode to "AHCI". Save the new BIOS configuration and restart so that Windows boots.
When Windows starts, it will detect the change, load new disk drivers, and do one more reboot to start up with them.