Honour3

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
Hello,

After buying lots of parts for my new PC over 5 months, I finally had the PC I wanted.

Q9550 Core2Quad cpu
Asus 750i motherboard
Creative-X soundcard
XFX 260 graphics card

I have it built for me while I'm doing my exams and then I play for 2 hours each day for about 3-4 days - it was a must!

Anyhow, the games WERE demanding yeah, but the build could easily take it right?! :D thats what I paid for.

Wrong, after playing SilentHunter 4 and using the time-compressor I'm sure many of you know well , I reached 8000mins per min.
Yeah, I loved it, SH4 game with all the waiting cut out. It was bliss. And then the computer cut out.
Overheat???

I turn it back on about 5 mins later after I took the side panel off to make sure it was cooling (my room was about 15 celcius at the time). I run the lovely ASUS electricity usage/temperature checker, and the CPu is 87 celcius.

I had been running SilentHunter 4 with 8000x compression for about 4 mins non-stop a few times when I played.

So..
A) The computer now continuously seems to be "working hard", you know the noise when your CPU sounds like its hitting speed bumps every couple of miliseconds or grinding wood. The screen has frozen once (actually while I was monitoring temperature) and I had to restart the computer - I know thats a possible sign of perma-damage. So IS it perma-damaged? and how can I test if it isn't?

B) What do I do?? Intel warranty? I spent a good long time rationing so I could afford the thing, I thought it's meant to regulate it's own power usage - Not attempt to blow up on start-up!

C) The CPU is already 58 celcius when I start the PC now, no matter what. I don't understanding this. I checked everything I can without moving things - which would void the manual labour of the local shop, but I read on here many people are having these problems, but nothing like STARTING on 58 celcius, or reaching 87.

D) Is there possible further damage? I seriously don't want to know but I must, if my RAM of GFX card may be damaged by this.
I weep.

If you need any more details, please ask. I'm not even enjoying eating properly now that half my annual student loan is trying to vaporise itself.
Thanks.

Edit: Note that also the ASUS temperature/voltage monitoring software also showed the RAM to be at an unusually high temperature too.

Distinguished
May 7, 2009

LGA775 socket? Check to ensure that the stupid heatsink/fan is properly mounted such that it is held tightly against the CPU. My son's PC had the same problem; I replaced the HSF with a new one solely to get new latches and the overheating problem dissappeared immediately.

Check out http://www.supremelaw.org/systems/heatsinks/warning.htm for more info.

Honour3

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
Just to add:
My power supply is a Cooler Master - Real Power M620,
everything is socket LGA775 yeah
and both of my fans are constantly on or above 3000 rpm.

Okay, so..

Possibly it's the HSF from Intel, which I can replace with Arctic Cooler 7 Pro to solve the problem.

The Intel fan is rubbish you say - so it may not be the cores themselves, good. However I'm quite sure severe damage has already been done.

note: my "physical memory usage" is CONSTANTLY 31% on idle now, the pc is CONSTANTLY making noises (and the "active" light never dims) and I'm not sure Intel will replace my GPU for me if it was their fan's fault. I was simply unsuspecting and I hope that doesn't make whatever OTHER damage the CPU has caused fall on my head... does it?

However,
First I have to deal with my local PC shop which built it for me - and make sure if they made a mistake that I claim from them. If it wasn't them/they hide the mistake, I CAN send it back to intel for repairs/replacement right?

Also, the ASUS software which detects voltages/temperature also constantly warned me of my "MB" temperature rising way above recommended temperatures. Something like 65 celcius at some points, no more than 70 though I'm sure. Could this be permanently damaging? and does it refer to RAM (???)? or my GPU?

Sorry if my questions aren't very orderly, you've made it clear that the problem lies with the CPU but, what about possible damages it could cause in other hardware? the "MB" as stated above or GPU may have been abused for performance I guess - which explains their high temperatures. :cry:

Honour3

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
Hey, I'm reading that the pre-applied paste that comes with the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro "should be replaced" with arctic cooler 5. How necessary is it?

I'm also reading that the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro has a max rpm of 2000. Maybe if its superb it will do well but - well this is the first time i've had such a problem - so is 2000rpm enough for a fully loaded Q9550?

The replies are much appreciated!

ACF7P is a pretty good budget cooler. (I know, I have one.) And if you are running at stock speed, it will serve you well. It use the same pushpin mounting scheme as the Intel heatsinks.

If yu are overclocking, you will need something better. As far as the fan rpm is concerned, that's always a compromise between cooling and noise.

Honour3

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
Ah thanks.
btw.. stock speed = ?
my Intel stock fan ran to 3600rpm. thats the "stock speed"?

and thanks for the further replies.

Aha, well the Q9550 I have can be overclicked with software. And I can't remember if its my Q9550 or XFX 260 which came readily overclocked.
But, which fan is good for overclocking? based on cooling/cost/noise :D

Thanks, I'm asking quite alot of questions but, well I have to try...

Honour3

Distinguished
May 15, 2009

Thanks guys!!

But now onto the endless ocean of reviews of those parts - which bear little comparible information.

*Case closed*