Solved

No Access to back of motherboard - what HSF?

Hey there folks!

I have an Antec 300 case (the older variety without a cutout that gives easy access to the back of the motherboard), an ASUS P6T Deluxe motherboard, and an i7-920 CPU. I am currently stable at 3.44Ghz using the stock cooling and stock voltages. My core temps (as measured with SpeedFan) are 34C at idle, and 80C under load.

I would like to boost my overclock to at least 3.8Ghz if possible. I do not want to remove my motherboard from the case, though- that would just be too much of a hassle.

Should I try to boost voltages and/or other settings using the stock HSF?
Should I use a specific aftermarket HSF that doesn't require access to the back of the MB for putting on a mounting bracket? If so, what should that be?
Is there some aftermarket HSF that doesn't require a mounting bracket which would likely enable an even higher overclock?
Should I give up the ghost and keep things as-is?

(edit) Some additional info: running at 19x multiplier, 180 BCLK -->3.44Ghz, RAM is underclocked at 1440 (OCZ Gold DDR3-1600)
When I boost BCLK to 184 to get 3.51Ghz, temps under load rise to 85C and system BSODs after less than 5 mins under Prime95 stress-testing.

Thanks in advance,
Jerry
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about access back motherboard
  1. Best answer
  2. Do not overclock further on the stock heatsink. in fact i already recomend an aftermarket cooler if you stay at that frequency.
    Scythe is a good company and i couldn't find any other products in a quick search that would work well. Just wait for newegg or another retailer you trust to stock it and get it then. then have some fun with an overclock
  3. Best answer selected by jeroly.
  4. Thanks for the feedback!

I've been pretty stable at that freq with the stock HSF so I'll stay there until I get the Scythe. I'm doing some other upgrades (SSD, graphics card) so I wanted to upgrade the cooling at the same time while giving myself some extra overclocking fun.
  5. The problem is that the tower coolers with pushpins put a lot of pressure on the motherboard, specifically the HSF mounting holes. It would be different if the motherboard were mounted horizontally.

My recommendation is to pull the motherboard and use a backing plate.
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Cases Motherboards Overclocking