New EVGA 8800GT - No Signal

Davz

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
Hi,
I'm hoping someone can help me with an answer to this problem.
I'm trying to replace my ATI X1900XTX with an EVGA 8800 GT.
I bought this card back in August 2008, but haven't gotten around to installing it until now. The shrink wrap wasn't even removed from the box, aside form a small square that was cut out to remove the UPC for a mail in rebate. (Just to rule out any thoughts that the card may have been sitting on my desk, being played with by the kids, or chewed on by the dog)
I uninstalled all the drivers, removed the card, put the new one in and the PC booted normally (aside from the monitor having no signal) In other words, I didn't get the normal series of beeps indicating a video card failure.
The fan on the video card was spinning.
I tried plugging the monitor into both DVI outputs on the card with the same results.
I've tried re-seating the card a few times.
I haven't tried using the molex to PCI-E power adapter that came with the card (for 2 reasons: 1. I don't have 2 free molex plugs, they're being used to run fans, and 2. The PCI-E adapter worked fine for the X1900)
I haven't tried the other PCI-E adapter from the PSU either because it's really just a further extension of the one I'm using.
I don't think it's a power issue, but I don't know what else it could be (aside from a DOA card)
Here's my PSU specs anyway:
Model
Brand RAIDMAX
Model RX-600F
Series AURORA 2
Spec
Type ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V
Maximum Power 600W
Fans 1 x 120mm Blue Glowing LED Fan
Main Connector 20+4Pin
+12V Rails 2
PCI-E Connectors 2 x 6Pin
SLI Ready
CrossFire Ready
Modular No
Efficiency Up to 80%
Over Voltage Protection Yes
Overload Protection Yes
Input Voltage 100 - 240 V
Input Frequency Range 50/60 Hz
Input Current 10A
Output +3.3V@30A,+5V@36A,+12V1@20A,+12V2@18A,-12V@0.8A, +5VSB@2.5A
Approvals UL, CUL, FCC, TUV, CE, C-tick, CCC, CB
Dimensions 6.5" x 3.5" x 6"
Features
Connectors 1 x Main connector (20+4Pin)
1 x 12V(4/8Pin)
4 x peripheral
6 x SATA
2 x Floppy
2 x PCI-E
Features Dual 12V output circuits provide added system stability
Huge 120mm silent blue led fan
Hexflo technology allows maximum to flow through your system
Power Material: Brushed Aluminum & SECC Steel

I have no idea what processor I have off the top of my head, but the mobo is an ASUS P5 ND2 SLI.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Sorry bro, it sounds like you have a bad card. You have done all of the troubleshooting than anyone of us would have.

I ope it still has a warranty after having it for so long.

You should always test equipment as soon as you buy it...

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
Sorry bro, it sounds like you have a bad card. You have done all of the troubleshooting than anyone of us would have.

I ope it still has a warranty after having it for so long.

You should always test equipment as soon as you buy it...

Solution

Davz

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009

Thank you very much for the quick reply! :)

Luckily EVGA offers a lifetime warranty, so I'm not too worried about that. (The catch is you have to register within 30 days, which I did) :D

I was thinking the exact same thing when I got it.. "I should at least install it to test it out..."
But then I thought "What are the chances of a brand new card being DoA? I've never had anything aside from a case arrive DoA, and the reason for that was it was damaged in shipping."

Lol, it would figure the ONE time I don't install something immediately would be the time I have a problem. I just emailed EVGA about it, and I'll find out if they want me to RMA it or if there's something like a magic jumper on the card I can switch from "not working" to "working" or something ;) .

I was concerned about the power at first because the card recommends 26 Amps on the 12V rail, and the PSU has 20 Amps and 18 Amps on it's 12V rails, and I wasn't quite sure if the PCI-E gets it's power from 1 rail or both. :heink:

Davz

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
Thanks for the response. :)
Here's the answer (basically it was a hot swap, then a reboot)

The first time it came up with no signal, while the PC was probably sitting at my Windows Desktop, I switched the monitor's plug to the other port.

Then I tried rebooting the system to see if I'd get at least the POST screen out of the 2nd DVI port. No luck :(

After re-seating the card I tried a similar, if not identical process.

(I'm calling the port on the card closest to the motherboard the 1st port and the one further away the 2nd, if that matters)

Davz

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
Update:
I tried using the other PCI-E connector (despite the fact that it's on the same strand of wires coming from the PSU) - Still no luck
I also freed up 2 molex connectors to use the molex to PCI-E adapter - Again no luck

My monitor is a Samsung Syncmaster 204B

TY again for all the responses guys, if it's not working tonight, I'm requesting an RMA. :)