Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Optiplex 755 - Change the CPU cooler/fan?

Last response: in Overclocking
September 2, 2010 5:05:25 PM

I have a Dell Optiplex 755 and it has this large plastic cover that holds the cpu heat sink and directs airflow from the fan over the heat sink. The problem I have is that I want to put an nvidia 460 in and the card is too wide, it won't fit with the plastic cover.

Anyone changed the heat sink/cpu cooler on this model or at least have some suggestions?

a c 119 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 2, 2010 5:36:56 PM

You are stuck with the Dell heatsink/fan system. Dell uses proprietary heatsinks and motherboards, so you are stuck with what they offer.

You should also verify that your PSU meets the power needs of the 460 before you buy it. Dell PSUs are nototiously underpowered and aren't really designed to handle the load of gaming GPUs.

I just stuck my head into an Optiplex 760 (very similar to the 755) and I think you are out of luck with a large GPU like the 460. You need to go with something smaller. What are you using now?
September 2, 2010 6:48:25 PM

The PSU was upgraded to a 500w awhile ago, I forget the manufactor so that isn't an issue.

I currently have a 8800GT and it is having problems which is why I want to upgrade. If I can just find a decent alternate CPU cooler so I can ditch the big plastic cover I am golden. It will be a tight fit but it will work, I only need about 1/4" more space.
Related resources

Best solution

a c 119 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 2, 2010 7:39:41 PM

There are no alternate Dell HSFs. You can't use an off the shelf replacement, only Dell HSFs. You might be able to modify the shroud and HSF you have with a dremel tool to creat the clearance needed. Or, you can attempt to find a smaller Dell solution at a website like txcesssurplus.com. Good luck!
September 9, 2010 2:45:16 PM

Best answer selected by SirArion.
!