Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Corsair Dominator
  • RAM
  • Boot
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Motherboards
July 21, 2009 9:31:44 PM

I cannot get my EVGA 780i board (v.08 BIOS update) to boot with 8 GB of RAM into Windows XP 64-bit. I am using (4) 2-GIG memory chips - CORSAIR DOMINATOR CM2X2048-8500C5D. The same system works in x64 with 4 GB without a problem. I have tried using the other (2) chips in both banks, as well as tried each pair individually on the first bank... So the memory itself does not seem to be the problem.

The Error message I am getting is this: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT - I am running at the required 5,5,5,15,2T memory timing settings at have upped the memory voltage to 2.1V as requested... Other than that all BIOS settings are at defaults.

As a side note, this is a dual-boot system - WIN XP HOME and WIN XP 64-BIT. The WIN XP HOME boots fine with 4 GIG or 8 GIG RAM. I have mixed these chips up and even placed in different slots/banks and all seem to boot into WIN XP Home - although showing only 2.75 GB RAM to WIN XP HOME. Also, any 2-chip, 4 GB combination I have tried in x64 also seems to run fine... I have even booted into 32-bit WIN XP HOME and deleted the virtual memory for drive C, which deletes the PAGEFILE on drive C - just in case that was the problem...

Any suggestions? Or is this somehow bad RAM?

More about : evga 780i boot win bit corsair dominator ram

a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2009 10:06:20 PM

If you have tried booting to xp with each stick individually and you see that everything runs fine, that normally means the mobo does not like the x64 OS....

Have you tried a fresh OS install?
m
l
July 21, 2009 10:51:40 PM

I have not tried a fresh x64 install yet, as I have already loaded some programs into the x64 install with 4 GB and do not want to have to go back.... But, if I put the x64 CD in and attempt to re-install over the current x64 setup, it hangs upon "Looking for other Windows installations', etc...
m
l
Related resources
July 22, 2009 1:37:37 AM

Make sure that your only using 2 sticks of ram then disable all file system filter drivers, such as backup utilities, virus scanners, or firewall software, shut down then add your other ram. If the problem goes away, then it's a driver conflict.
m
l
August 14, 2009 5:26:05 AM

You are going to need to increase your memory controller voltage to approximately 1.4v - 1.45v to accomodate the load of 4 modules.
m
l