techhelp328

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
If I run my laptop solely on battery power, everything works normally. However, when I plug in the power cord, I get a "network cable unplugged" message. As soon as I unplug the power, my ehternet connection is fine. Is is possible for the house electrical power to interfer with the computer. How can this be remedied. This all started after a recent power glitch. None of the components were plugged in at the time. Imhave been told that "dirty power" or "line noise" could be an issue. Help!!!!

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Was the brick plugged into the wall, irregardless of whether or not it was plugged into the laptop when the "glitch" happened? Does it do it from other circuits? Not just another outlet in the same room unless you're sure it's on another breaker. If you can use it from say the kitchen with no worries then you've found an issue on the circuit. If you can run from the office but not at home you have dirty power coming in. If you can't run anywhere you're looking at an issue with the laptop and will need to determine if it's the brick or the board.

techhelp328

Distinguished
May 15, 2009

Thanks MISRy! I have tried it in another room with no success. The brick was definitely not plugged in at the time. I had suspitions about the power being a possible source of the problem. I saw a similar issue a year ago following a series of T-Storms followed by power outages and such. It seemed to clear up on its own somehow. Since this is a frequent occurence in the South where I live, would a UPS or some type of voltage regulator be a possible remedy?

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
I would definitely give it a shot. I live in an old enough house that I won't run a system without a UPS. Be sure to plug in on the backup side as opposed to the ones just marked surge protection.