Beef Against Widescreen Manufacturers

bender-420

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
What is it these days that makes manufacturers these days think that it is desirable to have a #@$&*& 19in-24in WIDESCREEN?

I am the one in charge of purchasing computers and monitors where I work and made the mistake once to buy the cheap 19wide and no body wanted it... all the people here that would prefer to stick with their dual old 17in vga monitors than to upgrade to a 19wide. (or dual 19wide)

I personally have always have liked the standard monitors, I used to have 3, 4:3 -19in side by side... now I am down to the one stupid 19widescreen and one 19standard because the standard 4:3 19in have become so expensive, or non existent anymore. I can find plenty of models, but I cant find any to buy. (none at a descent price, anyway)

Now if they come up with a cheap and efficient way to stack them so people will have 4 monitors in a square, I will be satisfied. but the hardware for that is out of any budget I have.

I believe that the manufacturers out there should abandon all small wide screen monitors (less than 28in) and go back to the good ratio that people can actually fit full page documents on.

Anyone agree with me? I am wondering how many people out there are getting frustrated over this.

Anyone else that can point me towards a good source of 4:3 19in let me know.

Bender

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Many LCDs can be rotated for document viewing.

20-22" widescreens with 1680x1050 resolutions have more vertical pixels than a 19" LCD (which is 5:4, not 4:3).

What is your budget?

bender-420

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
I have been looking at those rotating ones, look interesting.

My budget unfortunately just got slashed because of the economy, and things are now on a need only basis.

From my meeting, my impression from my manager is that more than $200 CAD is too much and people will have to make due.

Also what is unfortunate is the one 19wide I have cant rotate so I cant go and get one more and match them up, it would entail getting 2 at the same time.

The other option I am to investigate are 26in and larger, (replace a dual with a single large). so far they cost way too much.

Thanks

Bender

Could not agree more, for the office I would prefer a 20" 5::4 monitor over the 22" 16::9 monitor - Much better for viewing documments, and a higher resolution (1600 x 1200). Mind you that 20" Dell cost Approx $800 when I bought it. Had to replace it with a 24" do to needing HDMI. It's about 1" higher. For me the only advantage of a widescreen is for watching WS DVD's, or a WS TV program - which is NOT needed in a normal work enviorment.

The problem is profit.
Initially they could offer a 19" widescreen about 15% less than a 19" 5::4 monitor About the difference in viewing area. and Now they do not sell enough of the 5::4 - sad but a fact of life.

Note: Wide screens come in 2 flavors 16::9 and 16::10 (mine is the 16::10 which is 1.25" higher than a 24" 16::9)