SATA HDD enclosurewith fan and temp

Wharf

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
I'm looking for a SATA external enclosure with a cooling fan and eSata/USB 2.0 outputs. It needs a temperature probe too.
Thermaltake has an enclosure and a dock. I picked up the enclosure and it is a nice unit but does not have a temperature probe so that my HDD Temp utility cannot monitor it. The Nextar3 has the probe but no fan and the temperature utility told me that the drive was running at 123 degrees F. Too hot. Being that the interface is SATA.....the patch cord is too short to enable me to put the drive on top of my desk and apparently keeping it under the desk requires cooling. Now I'm too insecure to not monitor the temp even with a cooling fan.
Does anyone have knowledge of these units?

Wharf

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
My question is not how to monitor a HDD.
I'm looking for a new enclosure that has temp sensing capabilities AND a fan, etc.

The important temperature is what the hard drive says, not some external probe. Any case with a fan will be sufficient. If it worries you, monitor it for a while until your satisfied it's not overheating but it's really not an issue. Drives like the Western Digital Green 1TB are awesome and likely need no fan at all.

Your pretty much worried for nothing.

Monitoring the HDD is all thats actually important, you could have very badly placed sensor that might either convince you that its way too hot anworry you, or cool and make you think you are safe, the temp that the HDD reports is the best one to use by far, and its freely available (assuming that esata can access smart data).

Wharf

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007

I realize now that as long as the HDD has SMART tech that the temp info is available. That info (using HDD Thermommeter) had disappeared. After installing Speedfan HDD Thermommeter began reading that drive again. So.....I don't have to worry about a temp probe. Now, my question becomes....."does anyone have experience with an enclosure that has a cooling fan and does not make alot of noise?

Wharf

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007

Right you are....see other response.

Wharf

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007

OK....
what would be considered as a safe top temp for constant use?

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Check your drive manufacturer's web site. Seagate, for example, states "The operating temperature range for most Seagate hard drives is 5 to 50 degrees Celsius... Note: With our newer model drives the maximum temperature is now at 60 degrees Celsius."

Wharf

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Thank you all.
I have the necessary info to proceed.
If anyone has experience with one of the cooled enclosures, I'd appreciate some info.
One of them was supposedly very loud according to one review.