When installing th GPU Waterblock, I should be careful about...

Slipperss

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I am about to install my first EK FULL COVER waterblock on my ATI5970, and I am almost literally shitting myself, because in the instructions it says something about "Pay attention not to use too much force by pressing block down to PCB. Chips are prone to cracking" What are the PCB chips, the big black square chips?

How am I gonna do this? Please tell me the warning is overrated, because it sounds like it takes absolutely nothing to destroy your GPU..

How do you know when your screw is tightened enough?

It's multiple questions, please answer all you can if possible, thanks for your time and help.

acer0169

Distinguished
You could break a GPU chip by say pushing a cooler down with your thumbs and pushing too hard.. so yeah.. it's kinda right to give a warning. In saying that.. it might relax you some-what to know that I've had old GPU's before that were going to be thrown so I tested how strong they actually are. I couldn't break the chip on my old 5500FX graphics card without bending the card with both hands until the chip snapped in half and threw bits all over my room.

The warning is to scare idiots away from doing such things.

You don't need (nor will succeed with) a very light touch when it comes to installing cooling or water blocks to GPUs, but just don't go overboard. Don't screw it down until it warps the shape and don't screw it in so lightly that it'll just leak everywhere.

Use common sense and you'll be fine.

I was scared when I first opened my GTX 260 to add some better paste to it, but once you've done it one time you realise it's simple as long as you don't get impatient (or stupid).

Good luck! Show pictures once it's done :D

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Right, it will take a lot of force to break a card or chip, however, if you don't use some caution when tightening down the screws, make sure you do so in a manner that you keep consistent pressure on all points at the time. You could run the risk of crushing one side of a chip if you force tighten one side more than another, but this would be an extreme case of stupidity and you'd know if you were doing it that incorrectly. Just use common sense, you'll be fine.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I ruined a GTX280 by overtightening a block. Wasn't my first block so it happens. Follow directions. Ask questions.

Join a forum where there is more that .07 members that have actually used that block on that GPU.

You need specific answers. I don't use EK, I do know the spacers, TM application, and other issues have happened. But you bought it, so read up and bst of lusk.

Asking ? like this at Toms means your wayyy behind the knowledge curve already......... Find more forums for your benefit.