GTX 295 temperatures w/ backplate (disappointing results)

foolycooly

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
Hey guys,

I had read a post a while back stating that the EVGA backplate for the GTX 295 showed up to 20 degree drops in temperatures under full load. I recently built an i7 system with the following specs:

cm 690 case
ASUS P6T deluxe V2
i7 920 @ 3.6ghz (stock voltages, idles in the 39-42 degree range)
cm V8 cpu cooler
ocz platinum 6gb 1600 @ 7-7-7-18 1T timings
wd caviar black 640gb
EVGA GTX 295

I went ahead and ordered the backplate when I ordered the rest of my stuff and installed it on the card before putting my system together. The computer runs like a dream and the gtx 295 give me vantage scores of ~21,500...absolutely outstanding performance. However, I did notice that the card idles anywhere from 57-63 degrees which seemed a bit high to me. I downloaded furmark and ran the stress test at 1920x1200 and was somewhat disappointed with the results. The card capped out at 91 degrees. I think (and hope) that these are still safe temperatures, but I had read some people getting 70-80 degree temps on full load. While I would probably not reach this 91 degree mark very often through gaming, I just wanted to let you guys know that the card does not seem to do as much as some people claim. It is a bit warm in my room, but not extremely hot.

I would have posted the screen shot of the furmark run, but I can't figure out where it saves the SC. I hit f9 while it was running and the screen briefly flashed indicating that it got the shot, but nothing was on the clipboard to paste in paint and I didn't see any folders where it may have saved it. Any help here?

I hope some of this information is useful.

ravaneli

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
I was in similar shoes last year, I built a fast ( and realtively expensive) PC and got 9800 GX2 when it just came out. This thing ran 55 idle and in the 90s under load with excellent air flow in the case. Everything was running great, but the temps were just bothering me too much. One day I got pissed off and ordered a bunch of watercooling parts. Honestly, it was a joy putting the water cooling together. BEST SPENT MONEY EVER. Even today, every time I look at the water temps of 30C under full loads it still cracks a smile on my face. Water cooling forever for the video from now on.

I will venture a guess that you can afford the water cooling as well. The only expensive part really is the water block. You will prolly get one around 150, and then u need 150 for pump, tank, tubing and some monitoring devices.

I know it's 300 just for cooling a card, but I am not a rich man and I have never regreted the decision to go H2O. Also, my GX2 can now overclock the core and shader clocks 30% and the memory 15% without 1 degree difference in temps.

foolycooly

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
haha, if only...I think i've spent as much as I'd like to on the system as is. I lost an internship that I thought I had lined up for this summer, so the discretionary spending will have to be decreased. I don't think these temps are particularly dangerous, just though I'd point out that the 295 backplate might have been overhyped. This is my first build ever. I might look at watercooling down the line in 3-4 years when I line up my next build.

krazyk12

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2007
you are still within the safe temps. yes they do seem really high, but thats what you get for the higher performance.

i dont remember off the top of my head, but i believe safe temps hit above 100c (thinkin ~110)

there might be something wrong with ur backplate installation, even tho there isnt much too it.

ive been reading people seeing up to a 20c drop with just the backplate.