Sign in with
Your question

Half dead PC

Last response: in Components
May 15, 2009 10:10:11 PM

My PC booted up as normal, as I waited for ISP to load a message flashed on screen just long enough to read "Entering Sleep Mode", then screen just showed 'No Video Input'. Now I cannot get any response from machine at all. When I switch on there is no 'beep' but all panel lights work, fans run, green light on MB lights, even indicator light on card reader lights. Oddly though there is no light on either of the CD/DVD drives neither will the drawers open. F8 or 'escape' key have no effect, in fact nothing I do will wake it up. Have checked all connections, tried a different monitor, switched off, left it then switched on again, all to no effect. The only change I've made lately is to add another printer (Lexmark all in one). about five months ago I had to change PSU and CPU after accident, but machine has run daily since then with no problems until now. Machine is home built (about 4 years old) AMD 754 Athlon 3200. Any help will be much appreciated.

More about : half dead

May 16, 2009 2:31:47 AM

It's likely something is fried, quite possibly your motherboard, PSU or CPU.

You are going to have to keep troubleshooting:

1) remove all components not absolutely necessary
2) swap components

This is all you can do. Unfortunately you likely don't have all the spare parts such as another PSU. Maybe you'll have a good friend who will help you.

By your error, I doubt it's your graphics, RAM, or peripherals. Probably your motherboard.

Good excuse to upgrade. If so, I recommend an AM3 if you have a little cash or an AM2 system on a budget.

Example of AM3 system:

CPU-> AMD Phenom II X3 720
RAM-> 4GB DDR3-1600 (2x2GB)
Motherboard-> ASUS M4A79T Deluxe
Graphics-> 2xHD4770
PSU-> Corsair TX850W (at least 600W, read reviews & look for deals)
OS-> Windows 7 RC 64bit (buy later)

other:
better audio card: auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1
great 2.0 speakers: M-Audio AV40
case: Antec 300
fans & cooling: 2x120mm fans (lowest CFM possible), HSF+120mm fan combo for CPU (read reviews)

This represents an incredible value and will blow away a dell of 3x the money.
May 16, 2009 10:18:43 AM

photonboy said:
It's likely something is fried, quite possibly your motherboard, PSU or CPU.

You are going to have to keep troubleshooting:

1) remove all components not absolutely necessary
2) swap components

This is all you can do. Unfortunately you likely don't have all the spare parts such as another PSU. Maybe you'll have a good friend who will help you.

By your error, I doubt it's your graphics, RAM, or peripherals. Probably your motherboard.

Good excuse to upgrade. If so, I recommend an AM3 if you have a little cash or an AM2 system on a budget.

Example of AM3 system:

CPU-> AMD Phenom II X3 720
RAM-> 4GB DDR3-1600 (2x2GB)
Motherboard-> ASUS M4A79T Deluxe
Graphics-> 2xHD4770
PSU-> Corsair TX850W (at least 600W, read reviews & look for deals)
OS-> Windows 7 RC 64bit (buy later)

other:
better audio card: auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1
great 2.0 speakers: M-Audio AV40
case: Antec 300
fans & cooling: 2x120mm fans (lowest CFM possible), HSF+120mm fan combo for CPU (read reviews)

This represents an incredible value and will blow away a dell of 3x the money.

Hi Photonboy and very many thanks for your recommendations. I half suspected a major hardware snag so I was thinking I might have to spend some money!! That was my first (and only) attempt at building my own, so I'm not up to date on options. Can you tell me, it I follow your recommendations will any of my current components fit the new motherboard, or would I be better changing everything? Finally could you put a rough estimate of the cost. I really have been trying to pluck up the courage to go for a major up-date so this has just forced my hand. Many thanks again for your help. Its very much appreciated, Bill
Related resources
May 16, 2009 12:46:00 PM

Many thanks for your input and I think you're right, took out the PSU and there is a definite burnt smell hanging around it! It is just a Win Power Model ATX 450.
!