Can i put thermal compound on gpu?

D

Deleted member 217926

Yes graphics cards do have thermal compound between the heatsink and processor just like your CPU does. HOWEVER you may void your warranty by removing the heatsink and using a 3rd party compound. As far as I know EVGA is the only company that has a warranty that covers this and they only make Nvidia cards.

An HD 5750 is a very cool running card in most circumstances. You really should have no need to replace the stock compound on this card. If you are having heat issues it is likely something else like a case with bad cooling or maybe even a defective card. What are your temps?

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Go for it. It is pretty easy to remove GPU coolers to get at the chip. I have been replacing the thermal paste on every video card that I get. So far, I have only had one where it made a huge difference but I think every now and then you can come across a video card where it wasn't applied correctly.

Have you had this card for a while? While you have it apart, you should clean the dust out of the HS so you get better airflow too.