• Motherboards
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
August 26, 2010 5:52:16 PM

Hello,

I am interested in using a SSD as a boot drive, but I am kinda confused about how to build this system.

If I go with an SSD, I should have a motherboard with SATA3 support - right?

Something about SATA2 having a throughput limit on SSD's.

But if I am building a P55 system, would a USB3/SATA3 motherboard cripple my PCI speed for the video card?

I am totally lost and confused about this matter. I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks!

More about : clarification needed ssd sata6

a b G Storage
August 26, 2010 5:55:48 PM

sata 2 will put a limitation on your ssd's performance. sata 3 is preferable

a p55 board wont really cripple your gpu speed
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
August 26, 2010 6:52:05 PM

Ah ok thanks, so best I look for a sata 3 motherboard.

Btw, is my understanding correct that with Windows 7 with TRIM that any wearing down and performance degradation has been resolved... so the performance will remain constant until it dies in the future right?
m
l
Related resources
September 3, 2010 3:11:01 PM

SATA III on your motherboard will only help you if you get a SATA III SSD. The only one currently is the Crucial C300, which has the fastest read speeds of any drive currently. Intel and other manufacturers are working on making their own, which will in theory be faster and cheaper, but aren't due for 2-3 months.

I have a SATA III board, but I'm just waiting for newer next-gen SSDs before I buy one.
m
l
a c 352 G Storage
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2010 3:34:57 PM

Good Eval/comparision of C300 on sata II (Sata3) vs C300 on Sata III (Sata 6) vs Vortex-2 and Intel G2 on Sata II.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3812/the-ssd-diaries-cruc...

Note (1) placing a 2nd gen SSD on Sata III does not provide any benifit (My comp of my Intel G2 on Sata II and moving it to SATA III.
(2) HDDs that are sata6 do not show any improvement over SATA II, except for burst measurement. (Have WD 1 TH S6 drive on Sata 6). Not sure about the new hybred HHDs that have a built in SMALL SSD.

Edited/added
I have the P55-UD4P and added a Asus U3S6 pcie-4x card into the 2nd x8 slot - No effect on my PCI-2 x16 slot. NOT p55A version is a diff animial when U3/S6 is enabled.
m
l
a c 100 G Storage
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2010 9:35:36 PM

SATA II 3.0Gbps bandwidth is enough for most all SSD out there.

Some of the better ones have read rates just under 300MBps (which is the same as 3.0Gbps, has to do with drive scaling, but it's a factor of 10, unlike HDD which are a factor of 8).

As stated, there is only 1 SATA III SSD out there, the Crucial C300. But it works for SATA II, also (via a jumper?).

As stated, putting any drive on SATA III vs. SATA II does NOT increase anything about the drive, beit either SSD or HDD, UNLESS it s SATA III drive.

But be warned, SATA III Hard Drives are no where near SATA III spec of 6.0Gbps. They may boost upto 600MBps, but you'll never get it. My SATA II in RAID 0 peaks at only 150MBps, far from the SATA II bandwidth. Now my SSDs in RAID 0 peak at around 400MBps, but that 2 drive, 2 ports, running together in RAID 0.

m
l
September 3, 2010 11:09:51 PM

RetiredChief said:
Good Eval/comparision of C300 on sata II (Sata3) vs C300 on Sata III (Sata 6) vs Vortex-2 and Intel G2 on Sata II.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3812/the-ssd-diaries-cruc...

Note (1) placing a 2nd gen SSD on Sata III does not provide any benifit (My comp of my Intel G2 on Sata II and moving it to SATA III.
(2) HDDs that are sata6 do not show any improvement over SATA II, except for burst measurement. (Have WD 1 TH S6 drive on Sata 6). Not sure about the new hybred HHDs that have a built in SMALL SSD.

Edited/added
I have the P55-UD4P and added a Asus U3S6 pcie-4x card into the 2nd x8 slot - No effect on my PCI-2 x16 slot. NOT p55A version is a diff animial when U3/S6 is enabled.

WOW I mean WOW!

Thanks for providing the link.
This is a must read for everyone.

I was going to go with a crucial C300 128 bt now I think I will go with the Vertex 2 120
Also Iwas going to get the SATA 6Gb add-on card bit I think I will skip that too.

But then again I'm waitng to see what come out this fall before I pull the trigger.

thanks again

Mark
m
l