Please help - this *should* be so simple! Playing .wmv fil..

October 3, 2004 7:09:43 PM

Hi I hope someonce can help me here.

I have an IPAQ 4150 "Pocket PC 2003"

I have some .wmv files on a website. I would like to put a link to them on
a web page so that
with one click they will play in WMP 9 on my IPAQ.

I have spent the last two days trying to do this and have not got very far:

a href link to the file just plain does not work. Pocket IE tries to
display the wmv file as text!

I create a .wmx or .asx file locally and reference the remote .wmv file
on the server. Opening this
from file explorer causes WMP to open and play the remote file!
Horaay - BUT putting the
.wmx or .asx file on the website and linking to it causes pocket IE to
just display the xml text
of the file, and does not launch WMP!!!!

Please could someone tell me how to fix this?

Is there a trick to how I should reference the .wmx / wmv on the website
so that PocketIE knows it should
open it with WMP?

Is there a registry setting or something to tell PocketIE that wmv / wmx
should be opened with WMP and
NOT as a text file in the browser!?

Any other areas I could look into? Don't know much about MIME but is
this an issue?

Many Thanks

Shane

More about : simple playing wmv fil

Anonymous
October 3, 2004 7:09:44 PM

Your web server needs to be told what MIME type to send for the WMA or
WMV files. It isn't, so the browser assumes it's text (the default
content type)

Read here for Apache
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;241080
And here for IIS and other servers
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;189404

Cheers - Neil

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 15:09:43 +0100, "Shane"
<Shane@nospam.dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

>Hi I hope someonce can help me here.
>
>I have an IPAQ 4150 "Pocket PC 2003"
>
>I have some .wmv files on a website. I would like to put a link to them on
>a web page so that
>with one click they will play in WMP 9 on my IPAQ.
>
>I have spent the last two days trying to do this and have not got very far:
>
> a href link to the file just plain does not work. Pocket IE tries to
>display the wmv file as text!
>
> I create a .wmx or .asx file locally and reference the remote .wmv file
>on the server. Opening this
> from file explorer causes WMP to open and play the remote file!
> Horaay - BUT putting the
> .wmx or .asx file on the website and linking to it causes pocket IE to
>just display the xml text
> of the file, and does not launch WMP!!!!
>
>Please could someone tell me how to fix this?
>
> Is there a trick to how I should reference the .wmx / wmv on the website
>so that PocketIE knows it should
> open it with WMP?
>
> Is there a registry setting or something to tell PocketIE that wmv / wmx
>should be opened with WMP and
> NOT as a text file in the browser!?
>
> Any other areas I could look into? Don't know much about MIME but is
>this an issue?
>

>Many Thanks
>
>Shane

October 6, 2004 6:30:14 AM

Thanks Thats Solved it!

Shane

"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Your web server needs to be told what MIME type to send for the WMA or
> WMV files. It isn't, so the browser assumes it's text (the default
> content type)
>
> Read here for Apache
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;241080
> And here for IIS and other servers
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;189404
>
> Cheers - Neil
>
> On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 15:09:43 +0100, "Shane"
> <Shane@nospam.dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi I hope someonce can help me here.
>>
>>I have an IPAQ 4150 "Pocket PC 2003"
>>
>>I have some .wmv files on a website. I would like to put a link to them
>>on
>>a web page so that
>>with one click they will play in WMP 9 on my IPAQ.
>>
>>I have spent the last two days trying to do this and have not got very
>>far:
>>
>> a href link to the file just plain does not work. Pocket IE tries to
>>display the wmv file as text!
>>
>> I create a .wmx or .asx file locally and reference the remote .wmv
>> file
>>on the server. Opening this
>> from file explorer causes WMP to open and play the remote file!
>> Horaay - BUT putting the
>> .wmx or .asx file on the website and linking to it causes pocket IE
>>just display the xml text
>> of the file, and does not launch WMP!!!!
>>
>>Please could someone tell me how to fix this?
>>
>> Is there a trick to how I should reference the .wmx / wmv on the
>> website
>>so that PocketIE knows it should
>> open it with WMP?
>>
>> Is there a registry setting or something to tell PocketIE that wmv /
>> wmx
>>should be opened with WMP and
>> NOT as a text file in the browser!?
>>
>> Any other areas I could look into? Don't know much about MIME but is
>>this an issue?
>>

>>Many Thanks
>>
>>Shane

Anonymous
October 6, 2004 2:51:53 PM

Yay ;-)

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 02:30:14 +0100, "Shane"

!