Sign in with
Your question

Need hard drive advice

Last response: in Systems
February 16, 2009 4:06:13 AM

I recently built an HTPC, and I have been having a weird issue. Everything is running fine, but after about a day of being on, the PC stops recognizing my hard drive. If I restart the PC, I can only enter the bios and there is no hard drive listed. The only way I can get the system to read the hard drive again is to connect the SATA cable to a different port on the motherboard. Then after about a day, the same problem happens. I'm new to building PC's, doesn anyone have an idea why this is happening? Thanks in advance.

More about : hard drive advice

February 16, 2009 5:18:06 AM

1. The first thing to do is try another SATA cable.

2 . The second thing to do is update the motherboard's BIOS if #1 does not fix the problem; go to the manufacturer's home page to check and for instructions.

3. It is possible that the hard drive is defective. Stick it in another PC for a couple of days to find out if the HDD "disappears" in the other PC. If the HDD does disappear then request an RMA for a replacement.

4. If #1 - #3 does not resolve you issue, then it is most likely a motherboard issue. Get an RMA from the place you bought it at so that you can exchange for another one.
February 16, 2009 1:36:15 PM

Thanks for the response! I've already tried a new SATA cable and that didn't work, so I'll try the bios update next.
February 18, 2009 1:15:42 AM

Bios update didn't work, I'm going to try it on another PC and see how that works.
!