Need hard drive advice

veelo2

Distinguished
May 27, 2008
I recently built an HTPC, and I have been having a weird issue. Everything is running fine, but after about a day of being on, the PC stops recognizing my hard drive. If I restart the PC, I can only enter the bios and there is no hard drive listed. The only way I can get the system to read the hard drive again is to connect the SATA cable to a different port on the motherboard. Then after about a day, the same problem happens. I'm new to building PC's, doesn anyone have an idea why this is happening? Thanks in advance.

1. The first thing to do is try another SATA cable.

2 . The second thing to do is update the motherboard's BIOS if #1 does not fix the problem; go to the manufacturer's home page to check and for instructions.

3. It is possible that the hard drive is defective. Stick it in another PC for a couple of days to find out if the HDD "disappears" in the other PC. If the HDD does disappear then request an RMA for a replacement.

4. If #1 - #3 does not resolve you issue, then it is most likely a motherboard issue. Get an RMA from the place you bought it at so that you can exchange for another one.

veelo2

Distinguished
May 27, 2008
Thanks for the response! I've already tried a new SATA cable and that didn't work, so I'll try the bios update next.