Sign in with
Your question

Reconstruct RAID in .imc files or put images back on to discs

Last response: in Storage
August 26, 2010 10:04:49 PM

My RAID 0 array between two 320GB drives was messed up recently. I believe that the drives and data were fine and that the RAID controller is to blame. I used RAID Reconstructor to create compressed images (.imc files) of the drives. The free trial of the program did not let me rebuild the RAID in any way. Now I have two large .imc files and still do not have my data. Does anyone know a free program that can rebuild the RAID array or at least get the data off? If not, is there a way to put the images back on the drives so I can try other options?
a c 99 G Storage
August 27, 2010 5:39:53 PM

I assume this is a RAID 0 array. My understanding is that if a RAID 0 array fails, beit via drive or controller failure, all data is lost. This is do to the "striping" of data across all the drives.

However, I've hear of persons moving their RAID 0 array from one PC to another, and the other PC reconized the array, and was completely usable. If you feel it's your controller, do you have this option? Move the drives to another PC, so you can copy the data to a single drive?

This is why it is so important to backup, either internally or externally to another drive.
m
l
August 27, 2010 11:19:11 PM

That's a good idea. I hope I haven't lost all my data. I back up, but not regularly. My first problem is that my data is all in .imc files. Do you know any way for me to get my data back onto the original drives?
m
l
a c 99 G Storage
August 28, 2010 12:24:06 AM

Sorry, not me. Never hear of *.imc files.
m
l
August 28, 2010 5:22:45 AM

They're compressed image .img files. I just hope that they aren't proprietary to the RAID Reconstructor program.
m
l
!