Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New watercooling loop

Last response: in Overclocking
September 3, 2010 1:12:51 PM

Hey there guys,

Basically, I'm ordering some water cooling parts to make my own loop. First of all, I want to make sure that these parts are ok: (I used to use a water cooling kit but I sold that kit to a friend):

Feser One Fluid UV Blue NON-CONDUCTIVE Water Replacement for Liquid Cooling
Swiftech MCP655 12V Industrial Water Cooling Pump 1/2IN Barbs
Swiftech MCR320 Quiet Power Triple 120MM Water Cooling Radiator Black G1/4 Threaded
Swiftech MCRES-MICRO REV2 Clear HI-FLOW Water Cooling Reservoir 3/8IN & 1/2IN Barb Fittings
Swiftech APOGEE XT LGA1366 CPU Water Block G1/4 Chrome HI-FLOW 1/2IN Eurostyle Barb Fittings
Primochill Primoflex Pro LRT UV Blue 1/2IN ID 3/4IN OD Tubing
Indigo Xtreme TIM (I had 1 left over)

Would this loop work?
Any suggestions on changes?
Also I have the Gigabyte EX-58 Extreme motherboard which comes with a chipset waterblock but it has 3/8 IN barbs. How can I watercool that also? Do I have to get compression fittings or something?
I've never built a loop myself before so I really need a little help, especially with getting to use my chipset waterblock.

Thanks everyone
I'm going to overclock my i7 920, hoping for around 4 GHZ i was running it at 3.2 GHZ before.

More about : watercooling loop

a b K Overclocking
September 3, 2010 2:26:38 PM

Distilled water and a biocide ( PTNuke ) instead of premixed coolant ( you can use a silvercoil )
I've never used Indigo Xtreme but I think the reflow process would probably be a pain to try with a liquid cooling loop.
You could use a couple of reducers for the NB block ( don't know if the included barbs are removeable )
Have you done any research other than to make a parts list ?
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/256607-29-watercoolin...
m
l
a c 100 K Overclocking
September 3, 2010 3:02:51 PM

Probably too hefty of a pump than you need, a 355 should suffice. However as long as that one has the flow control then it'll be fine and allow you to add onto the loop later, if you want GPU blocks.

I also personally think a bigger resevoir would be better just to help settle the water and bubbles that can collect (usually only initially after filling) but it should still be fine.

You're going to need at least 2 compression fittings for the Rad as well as clamps for all the barbs.
m
l
Related resources
September 3, 2010 3:14:44 PM

Yes I've done alot of research on the parts
the NB block has fixed barbs so it's kinda annoying thanks for the suggestions i'm gonna take them
m
l
September 3, 2010 3:22:38 PM

wait, why would i need compression fittings for the Rad?
m
l
a c 100 K Overclocking
September 3, 2010 3:36:26 PM

Because it has G1/4 threads and no barbs. You need a 1/2 barb fitting with a G1/4 thread... ie: compression fitting.
m
l
September 3, 2010 4:22:38 PM

oh right
thanks guys
m
l
September 3, 2010 4:30:13 PM

do i have to get both the barbs and the compression fittings or do i just need a pair of one of those
m
l
September 3, 2010 4:38:55 PM

So pretty much this is all i need:
Fluid
Pump with 1/2" Barbs
Triple 120mm Radiator G1/4 Threaded
Reservoir 1/2" Barb Fittings
CPU Water Block with 1/2" Eurostyle Barb Fittings
Tubing
Alot of Clamps
2 X 1/2" to 3/8" Tubing adapters

Right? That would be all?
What kind of maintenance are we talking about here? Once a year with fluid changes and that's it? Or do I have to change tubing and stuff?
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
September 3, 2010 5:06:35 PM

You'll need a set of fittings, wether barbs or compressions is up to you, since the rest of the components come with barbs, I'd go that route.
You're going to need to determine where you want to put the reducers and buy the appropriate amount of 3/8 tubing.
Don't forget fans
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_p...

Spend some time reading the link I provided and some of it's associated links, you'll get an idea of what kind of maintenance will be needed.
September 3, 2010 6:10:20 PM

Best answer selected by dhongkool1.
m
l
a c 86 K Overclocking
September 4, 2010 3:41:49 AM

Boy, do I sense many more questions from the OP?
m
l
!