Sign in with
Your question

Passive VGA cooler for 7600gt AGP card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 12, 2009 11:07:37 PM

Greetings-

I followed an old thread regarding this but couldn't get a definitive answer. Please excuse me if this has been discussed 10,000 times before.

~I have an eVGA 7600gt AGP 512mb video card.
~I want to replace the fan with a fanless, passive cooler (air, not water).
~Reviews I have read seem to be conflicting and I am not sure if there is a passive cooler that fits this card.
~I know AGP is an old technology but want to stay with the system I have for the time being.
~My system is very well ventilated.

Question: has anyone actually installed a passive cooling system on this exact card? If so, which one and how well did the installation go?

I am OK with making modifications.

Thanks for your help.
March 13, 2009 12:00:43 AM

I could tell you that not a lot of people are not going to answer this question, but what i can tell you is the card will be exceptionally running hotter with passive cooling. Just a question, but why would you want to upgrade to a passive cooler? The noise can't be that loud.
March 13, 2009 12:26:29 AM

vouslavous said:
I could tell you that not a lot of people are going to answer this question, but what i can tell you is the card will be exceptionally running hotter with passive cooling. Just a question, but why would you want to upgrade to a passive cooler? The noise can't be that loud.

My fan is getting loud and I think there is not much more life left in it.
Some video cards are now made with passive cooling and I have read a lot of positive results about this method.
Why do you say I will not get many answers to this?

Thanks for the reply!
Related resources
March 13, 2009 3:14:11 AM

If right now your card is to loud check the temperatures to see if they are high, if they are not high see if you can adjust the fan speed to something lower. Generally if you really do upgrade to a passive cooler it is possible for it to cool close to a regular fan as long as you have very good air flow in your case. Add an external fan or something if you do decide to go with a passive cooler.
March 13, 2009 4:55:00 PM

Maybe you could look for a broken Gigabyte SilentPipe II card. I know they made an AGP 7600GS, a PCIe 7600GT and a PCIe 8600GT. I've run all three of those cards in Shuttles (not the best airflow in the world) and didn't have any heat problems. I'm not sure if you can just take the heatsink off of one of those and fit it on to your card, but it would be worth a try.
!