Help with raid on two drives and a k9n2 MB please.

Flankercom

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Hello I'm wondering how to raid 2 hdd together? Which raid should i choose for only 2 drives if i want performance. Where do i set up raid at? I have a K9N2 Diamond MB and two 500gb seagate barracudas ST3500418AS

runningbot

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
If you only have 2 hard drives then you have only 2 practical RAID options 0 or 1.

RAID 0: Space = 100%(2x500gb = 1TB) , Read/Write Speed is increased. If 1 drive fails ALL data is lost.
RAID 1: Space = 50%(2x500gb = 500gb), Read speed "may" be increased Write speed "may" be decreased. If 1 drive fails ALL your data is safe.

Raid 0 splits the data between the two drives. This gives you the full capacity of both drives and an increase in read and write data since it pulls data from both drives simultaneously. Because the data is broken into to locations if one drive fails all the data is lost since you only have half of it on the other drive.

Raid 1 writes the same data to both drives, they are "mirrored" as in they have identical information. This can mean slower write times, but usually they are very close to writing to a single drive. It can also mean faster read times since it can read the data from both drives at once. Also because both drives have identical information if one drive fails you've lost no data because the other drive has the same data. However you only get as much space as one drive... because you storing the data twice, once on each drive.

In both cases the drives will read as a single drive in windows. It's really whether or not you want SPEED or SAFTEY.

Flankercom

Distinguished
May 1, 2010

I see what your talking about but i cant seem to figure out how to turn raid 0 on......

runningbot

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
I'm not familiar with your motherboard. Usually in your bios settings there is an option. However if your motherboard and/or OS is older you may have to boot from a CD or even floppy to install the RAID drivers. Make sure you motherboard supports RAID then look to installing RAID drivers.