Sign in with
Your question

Memtest fails.

Last response: in Overclocking
September 3, 2010 6:36:30 PM

Hello,
I have a 2x2G Corsair memory and my system was quite unstable (some random BSOD) so I run memtest.

The test runs ok on both memory sticks when they are tested separately. When I run the test using all the 4GB in dual channel mode, I get some errors:

When I test them simultaneously in a single channel mode, it seems to work fine as well.

Do you think it's a faulty memory or could it also be the motherboard ? I have to decide which component I will send back to the shop.

Thanks,
Tex

PS: sorry this is a wrong forum.

More about : memtest fails

a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
September 3, 2010 6:46:40 PM

Did you key in the timings/voltage/frequency manually in the Bios prior to running memtest?
September 3, 2010 6:50:59 PM

OvrClkr said:
Did you key in the timings/voltage/frequency manually in the Bios prior to running memtest?

No I haven't touched the memory settings in the BIOS.

I also tried putting the memory in the two other sockets and in that case (brown/brown), the PC doesn't boot at all and the "Memory OK" led of my motherboard (Asus P7P55D Pro) stays red.

If I use any combination of a single channel socket (brown/blue) it boots and the memtest succeeds.
Related resources
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
September 3, 2010 7:20:01 PM

Well that may be your problem, you cant just pop the ram in and expect the board to pull a miracle.

Go into the Bios, look for your ram settings and set them manually :

Example :

Set your voltage as specified by the manufacturer :

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv199/OvrClkr/002-3....

Key in your timings (you should have a sticker on the side of the module with this info) :

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv199/OvrClkr/003-1....

Key in your frequency :

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv199/OvrClkr/DSC027...

These are just examples of what you need to do, once everything is keyed in correctly go ahead and run memtest again.
September 3, 2010 7:48:42 PM

ok, I set those values
1.8 V
9/9/9/24
but the dual channel test fails again.

a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
September 3, 2010 7:52:00 PM

can you post a link to the ram that you purchased?
September 3, 2010 8:01:35 PM

OvrClkr said:
can you post a link to the ram that you purchased?

it's in my 1st post ;) 
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
September 3, 2010 8:23:28 PM

Ok, so here is the deal, assuming you keyed in the correct values and your sticks work individually in every slot it is most likely the motherboard causing the test to fail. Have you tried running a benchmark or prime95 (blend)?
September 4, 2010 11:56:21 AM

OvrClkr said:
Have you tried running a benchmark or prime95 (blend)?

Thanks for helping me with this btw.

a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
September 4, 2010 6:45:25 PM

did it fail?

how long did you run the test?
September 4, 2010 7:30:29 PM

OvrClkr said:
did it fail?

how long did you run the test?

I let it run like 10 minutes and it didn't fail.
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
September 4, 2010 10:39:30 PM

let it run for at least a few hours, 10 min is not going to do anything.
September 5, 2010 6:43:11 AM

OvrClkr said:
let it run for at least a few hours, 10 min is not going to do anything.

it's been running for 2h now without any errors.

what would that mean if it doesn't crash ?

September 5, 2010 5:32:54 PM

I packed the motherboard and the ram and I'm sending them back. I think I will try to run memtest tomorrow at work with this ram to see if it will fail as well or not.

September 13, 2010 7:11:16 PM

FYI, I got the new motherboard and the RAM and the memtest now runs fine. So I hope the problem is solved.

I have a little question about the frequencies and voltage of my RAM. When I set the 1.80 V in the BIOS, the value is red ... is this normal ?
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
September 14, 2010 2:35:38 AM

Yes, I run my voltage at 1.95v and it is red as well. If your ram is rated to run at that voltage you have nothing to worry about.
September 15, 2010 12:53:33 PM

You have a P7P55D pro motherboard, right ? According to Intel CPU spec, DIMM voltage below 1.65V is recommended to protect the CPU. You can read this in the M/B manual. That is why the value is red in BIOS. You are now in danger zone.

These memory modules are not intended for your motherboard. My RAM sticks run at 1.5V. I have a P7P55D (plain, not pro)
!