Asus P5Q Pro Onboard firewire problem

mikelala

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
I recently built a new machine on the Asus P5Q Pro motherboard. I am running Vista 64 and the system works well except for the onboard firewire. It recognizes by video camera, but the picture and sound recieved into movie maker is noisy. I bought a PCI firewire card, using this firewire port, the picture and video were crystal clear. I then returne the P5Q Pro to Asus unde rwarrenty. Yesterday I recieved a new one, rebuilt the system, and I have the same problem with the onboard firewire.

Has anyone experienced this problem before?

mikelala

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009

My machine is a quad core Q6600 G0, P5Q Pro mobo, XFX 9800 GTX+ graphics card, 4 MB Gskill DDR2 1066 RAM.
4 SATA HDDs, and a cheap PCI firewire card I bought as a work around this problem.

The PCI firewire card I added is a VIA chip, and it imports video fine.

I don't have another fire wire device to check the fire wire ports with. It is possible that my issue is a conflict with the Sony video camera (DCR-TRV355E) and the Onboard Agere IEEE 1934 controller.

mikelala

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
I forgot to add that I am running Vista Ultimate. however to check wether vista was the problem I installed XP as a dual boto system.
I am experiencing the same problems in both OS.

MaDMagik

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
OK, I might have rushed a bit with offering any help here - my sisters DSLR has USB and HDMI connectivity, no firewire :/ Sorry, I generally dont play with cameras/camcorders so I wouldnt know, but i will try to borrow a camcorder(most likely over the weekend) with firewire just to check it.