PC keeps rebooting every day--Please help

tsaul

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
Hello fellow techs, I'm a newbie in the field. I've been at it for a couple years. My custom built PC keeps rebooting probably 5 to 10 times a day. I checked the event log and it just says unexpected shutdown and does not say a reason. Is this a bad hard drive, power supply, Cmos battery? Please help, I don't know if I should format first or start replacing hardware. Please give me some advice. Thank YOu

montyuk

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
hmm you could try running memtest86 for a while and see if the ram is causing errors.

have you turned off automatic restart on error?
(right click my computer - properties, advanced, startup and recovery settings - untick automatically restart box)

tsaul

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008

OK--I am not Overclocking at all. I ran the memtest through vista and no errors. I also ran chkdsk and no errors. I then went to advanced settings and unchecked the automatic restart after errors. I think the temp is OK or within the desireable range. I don't know if unchecking the automatic restart will help because i just unchecked it. The only thing i can see wrong in event viewer is it says CD Rom 0 bad block. If my cd-rom has bad sectors or whatever that would not cause the reboot, or would it? Also, maybe it is the power supply. Please reply back. Thanks to everybody

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Now that you have turned off automatic restart, the next time it crashes the PC should remain on with the "blue screen of death" (BSOD) showing until you manually cycle the power or press the reset button.

Make a careful note of all the info on the BSOD then come back and tell us what it said.

tsaul

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
I unchecked automatic restart as I said earlier. Still no help. It still just reboots (no blue screen of death). It just reboots and then I'm back at my login screen. Do you think it could be the PSU or cmos battery. Also, should I do a format before I go replacing anything hardware wise? This is a tough one, somebody please give some more advice. Thanks to everyone

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Check all power connections internally. What brand/model power suppy? What is its wattage?

Are you plugged into a surge strip or UPS?

Have you been present when the PC reboots? If so, does it simply go black and then several seconds later begin the POST?

tsaul

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
Now the PC does not boot. Its just stuck trying to boot and can't. The drives are lighting up like when you first power it on but nothing. It just won't boot at all now. PSU or HD? ??