Drying/cleaning a motherboard

DrGizmondo

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
Disaster has struck my PC. My PC is housed in a Antec 1200 - the one with the 220mm Big Boy fan in the roof, my sister nocked a cup of coffee made with milk and sugar off the desk and the drink ended up covering my Motherboard, memory and maybe by GPU. Is there anyway I can clean these components? I have dried them off with a cool hairdryer and a lint free cloth, but there is some sugary residue on areas of the MB and RAM. What are my chances of resurrecting my system? what is the best way to remove the residue? and help/advice you can give me will be very gratefully received.

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
You will need to get yourself some bottles of deionized\destilated water to wash your board and ram, and pray that it didnt short and fried any of the board\ram chips.

By using a hairdryer you may have done worse because you solidified the residues into smaller deep spaces of the board architecture, so now you reallly need to actually wash it with water, but not any water, only the one i mention above is safe, a completely pure deionized watter. Then dry it under low temperature with a hairdryer and even then wait maybe half or a complete week, and good luck.

Oh i forgot to mention, remove the bios batterry before washing it.

Orion1024

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
I would use a non-lubricant cleaner spray for circuit boards. The stuff I get at Frys is $5 for a 14oz can and won't leave any residue. It will take something like that sugar right off in no time and penetrate into every little nook. It would probably take two or three cans to hose everything down good.

TRENDING THREADS