Can we run xp profession on intel core i3

Status
Not open for further replies.

faisalazmee

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
Hello,
i heard that we can't run windows xp profession on core i3.Is that correct.please suggest me if is there any way to install windows xp professional on core i3 because it is needed.i am not able to run my software on windows 7.its required window xp professional. thanks in advance

What version of Windows7 do you have? If you have Pro or Ultima, you can install XP Virtual Machine and try running it in virtual mode.

have you tried running the software in XP Compatibility mode?

XP can be installed on an i3; however, you will need the chipset drivers for XP to do so since XP does not support SATA controllers

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
I've seen situations where old hardware was not capable of running new OSes, (due to intel not releasing drivers for windows 7 for the 915 chipset etc.) but this should be fine. I've personally installed quite a few instances of an i series processor with XP on it.

I didn't understand it but some people really hate change.

djlightbulb

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011

Or they could install XP on their i3 laptop, like they want to.

Some people just don't like windows 7. Its just a bunch of needless gadgets. Some of which break compatibility with older products.

I don't see any reason to go with windows vista or 7 at 32 bit unless you are a gamer and want directx 10 or 11.

And I have a copy of both. Its just not that impressive.

The correct answer is YES you can almost always run XP on newer machines, including I3.

The problem most people have is they try to replace 7 with XP on a machine from a big OEM and run into a problem on startup because they are set to use AHCI by default, and XP doesn't recognize AHCI natively. This leads to install issues. Which leads to novices thinking it doesn't work with I3, I5, ect. I'm sure its an issue with homebrew as well, but those guys tend to be more skilled at resolving such problems.

The solution to that particular problem is switch it from AHCI to IDE in the bios, or install the XP chipset driver on startup by slipstreaming or using a seperate driver disk. One of these will resolve the AHCI issue on install.

Its also worth noting that Drivers, while usually available, can be hard to find for some big OEM machines. Best place to look if the OEM doesn't offer XP drivers is the chipset manufacturer website.

This is mostly an issue with laptops. For example, NVIDIA no longer offers XP drivers for laptop parts, but does for desktop. But there are ways to work around that too.

I have yet to run into a machine I can't convert to XP, but I have seen a few laptops that took a lot of work and research.

hast66

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012

I'm trying to setup a XP dual boot on my HP pavilion g7 laptop but I can't find the right drivers. In my BIOS there's no option available to choose AHCI or IDE. I've tried with nlite and driverspack base with loads of drivers
but without any luck.
Can somebody give the right drivers or show me the way to work around that

My Laptop:
HP Pavilion g7 Notebook PC
Productnumber: LF053EA#UUG
BIOS (configuration) F.04
CPU name: Intel (R) Core (TM) i3 CPU M380 @2.53Ghz
Motherboard: HP 166B 08.10
Chipset: HAVENDALE/CLARKDALE host bridge rev 2
Southbridge : INTEL HM55 rev05

Thankyou very, very much in advance

Stefan