Sign in with
Your question

PARTITION RECOVERY FROM USB DRIVE

Last response: in Storage
August 27, 2010 10:36:35 AM

Hello,

I need to recover data from a USB stick.

Ok, I am very desperate here. I just finished installing a new PSU into my PC and was about to install windows. I forgot I had my external USB HD hooked up still and I deleted the drives partition using the windows setup. NOTE: I did not format, just deleted the partition data. Is there any way I can recover the files?

To clarify a bit, when you are setting up windows the install asks you what you want to do with your drives, I deleted its partition, realized what I did and immediately shut off my PC, therefore I did nto reach the formatting section yet. (Windows XP)

I had to run active partition magic in Super scan mode to find my partitions.
I now need advise as what to do next to recover my data.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
August 27, 2010 10:50:08 PM

Cisco_kid said:
Hello,

I need to recover data from a USB stick.

Ok, I am very desperate here. I just finished installing a new PSU into my PC and was about to install windows. I forgot I had my external USB HD hooked up still and I deleted the drives partition using the windows setup. NOTE: I did not format, just deleted the partition data. Is there any way I can recover the files?

To clarify a bit, when you are setting up windows the install asks you what you want to do with your drives, I deleted its partition, realized what I did and immediately shut off my PC, therefore I did nto reach the formatting section yet. (Windows XP)

I had to run active partition magic in Super scan mode to find my partitions.
I now need advise as what to do next to recover my data.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Not exactly sure if there are any free utilities, but you can look into data recovery software. It would require hooking the USB drive up to a working computer and pointing the recovery software to that drive. That is the best bet as most "send-off" services like DriveSavers are a bit expensive. (When working at Rubbermaid, we paid 2-3k to have them recover a drive)
August 28, 2010 12:09:24 AM

I am guessing that you found the partition but you don't see the files. If you don't mind paying for the software I have used EASEUS. They have a free version but it will only let you recover a small amount. I would try the free version and see if it finds your files. It might be enough for you.

If you must have freeware then check out Hiren's Boot CD.
Related resources
!