GA EP45-UD3R, RAID and Windows 2008

tonywr

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
I am currently trying to install a new computer with Windows 2008 Server 64-bit with SP2.

MOBO: GA EP45-UD3R (bios is at F9)
Graphics: Nvidia GForce 8600GS (512)
Memory: 4GB Patriot Viper 1066
HDs: 6 Seagate SATA ST3500418AS
All 6 HDs are plugged in to the Yellow SATA connectors.
GSATA is disabled by default and I've left it that way.
I have enabled RAID by setting SATA RAID/AHCI mode to RAID.
I have configured the HDs for RAID, with the first two drives as a RAID 1 volume and the other 4 drives as RAID 5 volume.
I have no DVD or Floppy, and I have disabled them in the BIOS.
I have created a bootable USB drive image of Win 2008 and it boots successfully off the USB device.
I intend to install the O/S on the RAID 1 volume.
But
When Windows 2008 tries to install, it complains that
"A required CD/DVD device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now..."
I have a second USB drive which I have put all the drivers from the Gigabyte web site on, obtaining the Preinstall versions where applicable. I have tried to install the Chipset and SATA drivers from the Vista folder. A whole lot of drivers appear on the "Select a driver to install" screen and I select them all (Ctrl-A) and click Next. It appears to do some work then scans again, and complains that "No new devices could be found. Make sure the driver files are correct and located on the driver installation media."
So I have had no luck so far.
Before plugging in my 2nd USB drive, if I click the Browse button when this screen is showing, it displays an X: only. When I plug in my 2nd USB external drive, it shows X: and C:. C: is where I put my drivers.

This is getting very frustrating - I am now well into day 2 and I'm stumped. Any ideas? Perhaps a BIOS setting I need to check?

tonywr

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
I should also mention that I have tried to totally disable RAID and install on the Seagate drives with the SATA RAID/AHCI mode set to AHCI. That failed as well, with the same driver complaint.

Windows 2008 Server 64-bit with SP2 already includes the required AHCI and RAID drivers, but once installed, you could upgrade to the latest version available from Intel. Have you tried installing from a real DVD-ROM? While it boots from a USB flash drive, that doesn't mean that it will install properly.

tonywr

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
No, I opened the ISO using Virtual Clone Drive and copied it's contents to the USB install drive. I don't have a CD/DVD drive at all.

tonywr

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
I am currently trying to scavenge one from another PC. It's funny though, as I know people who have installed Windows 2008 with RAID from a USB stick.

MikeJRamsey

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009

OK, sorry. You said that you don't have a CD drive. Let me re-ask my question. Where did the original ISO image come from? Did you down load it? Try to down load it again and compare the size of the latest ISO image to your current image. Others have reported down loaded install images that were missing drivers. They tried a second down load and the second down load was bigger and contained the needed drivers.

After this, I am out of ideas.

tonywr

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
Thanks Mike,

I did originally try to install Windows Server 2008 from MSDN, and that failed. I then downloaded Windows Server 2008 with Service Pack 2 from MSDN (the iso filename ends in 342336) and that has also failed.

Regards,
Tony

BoringisNormal

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
I'm having ehs samie issue, when I try installing SBS 2008 from a Microsoft DVD on a brand new Dell PowerEdge 2970 system, I get the same error after selecting the PERC 6i Drivers that I put on a USB stick, it searches and then BAM! I get the same error? WTF

tonywr

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009

I never got it going - it's like a driver simply is not available that it needs. I ended up installing the Windows 2008 R2 Release Candidate and that worked without needing any extra drivers at all. I have had no problems with that O/S so far. Unfortunately, I do have a licence for Windows 2008 R1 not R2, so when that expires I have a problem.