tapanther

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
Hi, first time here, wanna say thanks in advance for any help Anyways, I recently modded my Cooler Master V8 heatsink with a much much stronger fan, the CM Excalibur (you can see it on the coolermaster website along with the V8), and I noticed that my two temp reporting applications were returning odd temperatures when compared to each other (one became 10*C colder, the other stayed the same).

I have:
i7 930 OC'ed to 3.822 GHz,
Bclk 182
Multiplier 21x
Vcore 1.24375V
Vtt Auto
QPI/DRAM 1.2250V
RAM 1.64V
HT Enabled
All other Auto

I have a Cooler Master V8 running modded with an Excalibur fan at full speed and mounted with AS5 (not yet cured) inside a NZXT Tempest Evo with all fans at full.

Ambient temp. is estimated to be about ~22-23*C/~73*F.

My Max Load (Prime95 Large FFTs) temps from Realtemp are: 75 74 73 69 (I think the last sensor isn't properly calibrated, it was showing a similar gap and I know the cooler was well mounted (crispy cool temps at stock). ASUS AI Suite that came with the mobo reports a CPU temp of 57*C with the new fan, with the old it was about 69*C (ik these aren't the core temps nor the average of the cores).

These are about the same temps I had before replacing the fan (it was OC'ed to the same settings then too), which seems odd because the Excalibur is wayyyyyyy stronger than the stock fan, I put my hand at the exhaust side and I feel a torrent of air I didn't feel with the stock fan, and hotter air. I'm surprised though that AI Suite reports a noticeable drop in temp though, and I'm wondering what's going on. You'd expect that if more hot air is being shot out that cooling would be better, no? I thought maybe it could be that since the AS5 hasn't cured that maybe thats what's affecting the core temps, but that makes very little sense to me. Why would the temp reported by AI Suite be 12*C lower but the core temps be the same now that the cooler is definitely doing a better job???? I'm pretty sure the heatsink is well mouted, and I followed Arctic Silver's instructions for the i7's (the vertical line thing) same as before.

Anyways, I wanted to ask if anyone could think why this is happening, and to make sure that even if this is how they stay, that the temps are OK (I dont think I'll ever reach Prime95 temps anyways, maybe 5-10*C lower max). Mostly I wanna know why the CPU temp went down but the core temps are still the same. Thanks in advance. If I forgot to leave any piece of info please mention it and I'll provide it right away.

Here's a snapshot of my comp running Prime95, Coretemp and Realtemp (both showing the 75*C etc) and AI Suite showing 58*C. I reseated the heatsink, and all that did was raise the temps shown in AI suite to 66*C. There's no plastic or anything in the way, and i'm fairly sure I cant have screwed up the mount twice in a row (its really simple). If more heat is being exhausted, and the CPU isnt producing more heat (BIOS settings havent been changed), why aren't the cores colder?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4108/...c8827d5b_b.jpg

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
CPU temps are the top of the CPU chip. All that matters is the Core temps. You should be under air cooled load no more than 80ish or so after running 10 min. If you have monster GPUs, run Heaven benchmark at the same time as Prime95 small ffts.

Use HW monitor for temp, you nee nothing diff.

Ambient temps matter a lot............... Post them when talking temps.

Otherwise bad mount etc.

tapanther

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010

Ambient temp. is estimated to be about ~22-23*C/~73*F. I said so in the fourth independent paragraph, second one after the list of settings. But my point was, if more heat is being lost (due to a larger volume of hotter air being exhausted from the heatsink and case) why aren't my temperatures lower in the cores?

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
It depends what speed of fans you are using. Does it sound really really loud? If not chances are it is on the low speed settings. The V8 at the same time isn't a very good cooler despite its size. Many direct heatpipe coolers can easily match it for half the price sad to say. Many review sites indicate around 40C above ambient. You have to consider that you are overclocking as well. You said your ambient was 23C but is that inside the case or outside the case. You can easily gain +10C if you took measurement inside the case. All in all your temps are pretty consistent. After googling a few V8 reviews, they all give similar results.

As for your hands feeling warm air. The stock cooler has a much smaller fan. Slower air movement would have less heat transfer to your hands same way it would have slower heat transfer from the heatsink. So you hands would feel the stock cooler to be much colder while the V8 with the bigger fans to be much warmer though the actual temperature of the air is not.

Feel the actual metal of the cooler. It is a much better comparison of temperature.