Sign in with
Your question

Want to get a bigger better hdd for my laptop, help me :D

Last response: in Storage
August 27, 2010 3:18:33 PM

hey guys!! i have lately, well a few months a go, bought a Dell Inspiron 14R (N4010) Laptop. Its got an Intel i5, 2GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz, 320GB HDD and ATi Mobility Radeon HD 5470 1GB. And i have been enjoying evry bit of it!! love dell to the max :D 

bt the thing is, only 320GB hard isnt enugh, neither is the 2GB RAM, (im using my lap mostly for gaming, wud hav gotten sumthin better but my budget duznt allow me to do so)

and the dell website says tht its upto 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD :(  bt my friends say tht the website might say so, bt i can still put more than tht. n they're sayin tht i can upgrade to 8GB RAM n 1TB HDD, is tht true?? thts wat i want to know nw.

Thanx in advance to evry1 in tomshardware, evrytime i find myself in a cage like this one, jst wen i think theres no way out, u guys find me a way ;D

More about : bigger hdd laptop

a b D Laptop
a c 119 G Storage
August 27, 2010 10:04:18 PM

Dell's answers are usually "CYA" answers on the conservative side.

When they told me on 2 separate occasions that 250 GB was the max HDD for my old desktop, I went ahead and installed a 750 GB HDD and it worked fine. In your case, one way to check this out is to try it. 500 GB HDD will work; not sure about higher capacities.

Regarding the RAM, yes you can go higher than 2 GB; definitely 4 GB. Not sure about higher capacities. There are some Dell models of Inspiron that have 4 GB; therefore this we know. Just make sure that the RAM is a matched set.

Ground yourself when you work on electronics (ESD).
m
l
a b G Storage
August 28, 2010 3:12:50 PM

You can't upgrade to a 1TB drive until 9.5mm drives are released. Right now, the only 1TB laptop drives are 12.5mm and won't fit in your Inspiron. The biggest 9.5mm drive you can get right now is a 750GB. Some older 750GB drives are 12.5mm, so do your research.

For memory, I really doubt you need 8GB... 4GB should be plenty. On that note, ensure you have Windows 7 64-bit before you upgrade.

Here's some options at newegg.com:

Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD7500BPVT 750GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive $95

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Laptop Memory $85
m
l
Related resources
August 30, 2010 1:48:42 PM

Ubrales said:
Dell's answers are usually "CYA" answers on the conservative side.

When they told me on 2 separate occasions that 250 GB was the max HDD for my old desktop, I went ahead and installed a 750 GB HDD and it worked fine. In your case, one way to check this out is to try it. 500 GB HDD will work; not sure about higher capacities.

Regarding the RAM, yes you can go higher than 2 GB; definitely 4 GB. Not sure about higher capacities. There are some Dell models of Inspiron that have 4 GB; therefore this we know. Just make sure that the RAM is a matched set.

Ground yourself when you work on electronics (ESD).

For Desktop, i dnt think u will have a problem. n yea i can install 4GB RAM. But theres one thing i dnt knw. is there anyway tht i can check which brand of RAM i hav
? coz my frnd also said tht wen i upgrade to 4GB RAM, i shud get the same type of RAM tht is aready installed, but i dnt knw which brand of RAM is already installed, i only knw tht its 2GB DDR3 SDRAM with 1333MHz i was goin to buy a kingston 2GB RAM of same specs, nw im waitin to find out which brand of RAM i hav installed on my lap already. is there any easy way to check it?
thnx :D 
m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 119 G Storage
August 30, 2010 2:46:29 PM

When I upgraded (added) RAM, what I did was pull out one RAM module and took that module to the computer store. Mine was DDR2 533 RAM. The only available RAM was 667. This is ok, as the system would clock down to 533.

In your case, wear a grounding strap, and take one module out. While it is out, take a digital pic of the module (I do this for every part that I take out). Now you have a better chance of getting the correct RAM. This is more positive than Belarc, SiSoft Sandra, and such programs.
m
l
August 30, 2010 3:51:27 PM

rwpritchett said:
You can't upgrade to a 1TB drive until 9.5mm drives are released. Right now, the only 1TB laptop drives are 12.5mm and won't fit in your Inspiron. The biggest 9.5mm drive you can get right now is a 750GB. Some older 750GB drives are 12.5mm, so do your research.

For memory, I really doubt you need 8GB... 4GB should be plenty. On that note, ensure you have Windows 7 64-bit before you upgrade.

Here's some options at newegg.com:

Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD7500BPVT 750GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive $95

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Laptop Memory $85

oh, bt y do they say tht its upto 500GB only on their website? i mean wats the use? n yea i dnt need 8GB RAM, n neither can i afford one, i was jst tryin to see if it is possible to put one.

yea tht ones gud but, it wud b better if i get a 7200rpm one right? as in a fast one? my frnd told me tht toshiba is gud HDD brand so i checkd their website. they have 640GB HDD with 7200rpm n its also 9.5mm. ii think its a gud one check this webpage: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=StorageSolutions/...

i like WD, but wd doesnt have 7200rpm HDD with 9.5mm which is over 500GB, they only have upto 500GB (scorpio blue): http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=683
thnx :D 
m
l
August 30, 2010 3:54:47 PM

Ubrales said:
When I upgraded (added) RAM, what I did was pull out one RAM module and took that module to the computer store. Mine was DDR2 533 RAM. The only available RAM was 667. This is ok, as the system would clock down to 533.

In your case, wear a grounding strap, and take one module out. While it is out, take a digital pic of the module (I do this for every part that I take out). Now you have a better chance of getting the correct RAM. This is more positive than Belarc, SiSoft Sandra, and such programs.

yea, i hav a question, under my lap, theres this panel which has a screw on it, i dnt wat that place is, or wats underneath it, so is tht where the ram is? (i rlly dnt knw abt laptop inside stuff O_O) hehe

these programs, do they tell you which brand of ram i have? n r they reliable?
m
l
August 31, 2010 2:48:45 PM

oh, thnx dude heheh btw is the brand gona b stated?
m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 119 G Storage
August 31, 2010 4:08:11 PM

If it is Dell memory, the source will not be stated. The source does not matter. You pick the manufacturer; such as Corsair, G. Skill, OCZ, Kingston, etc.

However, the memory specs will be marked on the memory. Information like DDR, DDR2, DDR3 - clock speed (533, 667, etc.) - capacity in MB (512, 1024, etc.)
m
l
August 31, 2010 10:45:21 PM

The brand of ram is Elpida (Taiwan brand) . so, im plannin to sell this ram n buy a 4GB kit (2x2) my lap has 2 slots, n it apparently can suppport 8GB (no way am i goin for tht!!) n of the same specs (1333mhz ddr3 sdram)

so which brand do u recommend?? i checkd corsair, bt i dntt knw which one is best for my lap as tht they dnt have system specific ram. so i check crucial n as tht they have system specific i think its gud, bt a bit too expensive. then i checked kingston n i think its pretty gud, bt wat do u think?

crucial: http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=BD...

kingston: http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/partsi...
m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 119 G Storage
September 1, 2010 2:23:29 AM

Both are good - pick the one that has the best price.
m
l
September 1, 2010 1:58:34 PM

oh, ok thnx. i think thts all. thnx vry much for ur help :D 
m
l
!