Help!!!! Motherboard Question

ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
So,
I'm selling my phenom II X4 940 @ 3.6 (OC) with the motherboard and RAM. Now I'm looking into getting a Core i7 920 with 6 GB RAM DDR3 and a motherboard. the only problem is that i don't want to spend to much money on this. there for i was looking into this micro motherboard from EVGA, it seems to me that this borad will do all the things I need like SLI and CF and fast DDR3 RAM but will its size cause me any problems or set backs? and if it will will it still be worth buying it because its like 80$ less then a normal sized that does all of this ?

Link to the mobo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813188039

Please i need an answer within the day so start typing !

ucjp

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Looking at the mobo I could not spy any problems with it. EVGA is a great manufacturer and I would recommend them, but in my opinion the motherboard is never something you should cut back on. I think you would be better off spending the few extra bucks to get an ATX board. The micro ATX won't cut it if you plan on overclocking your computer at all also.
Try one of the Asus P6T boards, they are fairly priced, but still maintain an abundance of features. You will be sacrificing the support side though, Asus is horrible at that.

For the memory I would say go with OCZ, they have become my favorite brand with their prices and speed. They are usually cheaper than Corsair by about $20 and their support is outstanding.

Good luck!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Learn to read:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/rampage-gene-lanparty,2302.html

From the conclusion:

"Top-quality Micro-ATX motherboards offer a level of performance, stability, and capability believed by many to be possible only with full-sized parts. The results make sense because of the equally-sized upper portion of Micro-ATX and full ATX motherboards, but this is the first time we’ve seen manufacturers put serious effort into the overclocking capabilities of the four-slot form factor. For those of you who’ve jumped ahead, the DFI LANParty Jr X58-T3H6 and Asus Rampage II Gene actually exceeded the overclocking capability of the full-sized Asus P6T"

For you to summarily dismiss all Micro ATX motherboards as being unable to overclock is supreme ignorance.

ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009

Thank you for replying, but after reading your post I wasn't able to see a recommendation about my problem and seeing how you know what you are talking about I would really like to hear what you have to say about this Motherboard!

Thank You

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

My response did two things:

1.) It pointed out the error of the previous response, just to make sure you weren't convinced by his falsehood
2.) It bumped your thread up in the ranks so others would see it.

I haven't tried the EVGA board. But I did provide information that disqualifies any answer that reads "MicroATX can't overclock" as a generalization.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Good point crashman - I've never found the size of the board to be a limiting factor in overclocking.

There was an excellent review of the MSI x58 microATX "mighty mouse" - or something like that.

ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009

Well Again! thanks a lot for the help you have provided and i will take a look at the artical and maye ill get one of those boards