Best memory/ram brand?

kalchi08

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Sorry if theres already a thread about this already but if there is then oh well. So I was wondering whats the best brand of ram to get? I'm willing to get a nice pair of ram for the new cpu and mobo im purchasing due to a bios fail (It was a cheap mobo). I just dont know which brand to get.. Maybe Corsair? or Patriot? I have no clue whos on the top. But i've heard allot of good things about Corsair. So im guessing there on top but im not exactly sure. I'm looking into a nice pair of 4GB DDR 800 RAM

Here are the cpu/mobo specs that im going to buy:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0GHz
Gigabyte G41M-ES2L Mobo
and btw im going to be running this on Windows XP Pro SP3

ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
Well it really depends on the amount of money you are willing to spend ! but if you poke around tomshardware a little longer I did see an artical about best RAM or something like that.... take a look they had a few brand names that and compaired them! I didnt read it so I cant say anything about it but you should go look for it and check it out!

kalchi08

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
I have a total of $330 to spend but $255 is going to be spent on a E8400 and Gigabyte G41 mobo. Which leaves leave me with $75 dollars to work with.. The cpu cost $169.99 and the mobo cost $64.99, but im just assuming the tax is going to add $10 to both my cpu and mobo. So it would cost me $180+$75 = $255. And im going to try to find that article thnx for the heads up.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
I recommend G.Skill, I use it for almost all of my builds and havn't had a bad stick yet (excepting those I fried). OCZ, Geil, and Corsair are also on the good list, for me anyway. I've had too many issues with Crucial to buy from them again. If you are on a tight budget, look at Wintec. But avoid Kingston like the Plague!

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
We've had trouble with all OCZ memory we had here (the gold plated and silver plated ones). Wait, maybe 4 out of 20 were good.

Don't know, maybe they sent us a batch that failed the quality check and hoped we didn't notice... that was a year ago.

kalchi08

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Alright im going to go with ether G.Skill(i wish they had G.Skill) or Corsair, it don't matter but Frys Electronics don't carry G.Skill ram, only Corsair. They also seem to not have the Corsair XMS2 4gb (2v2gb) DDR2 800 ram im looking for. Its not available at there local store only online.

...so now im looking into this cheap set of Kingston ValueRAM brand

http://www.frys.com/product/5622671?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG lol sorry but i cant stay away from this Kingston plague. It just looks cheap and good. Sorta like a Price/Performance set of ram.

ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009

Well I'm happy it all worked out for you! hope I will be seeing you in some games soon!

BTW I also have a 4890 and when you get your PC running you will be amazed at what this little card can do! and def after you OC it its amazing almost like a 285!

BTW throw the fan to 100% and see what happens! a jet engine was put inthere by accedint