Replacing EX58-UD4P stock chipset cooling?

ambientmf

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
Sorry for the long title.
I'm building an i7 rig this summer and will be using a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P for my mainboard. I will be replacing the stock Intel CPU cooler with a Thermalright Ultra 120 LGA1366 heatsink so I can get a decent overclock and run my i7 as cool as possible...I probably won't be going over 3.6GHz OC, as I want a COOL system and I want this CPU to last for as long as it can.
Since I'm obsessed with keeping my system as cool as possible (without water cooling...not that technically-adept just yet), I was considering as a future upgrade replacing the stock cooling on the NB, SB and possible the MOSFETs, both the side I/O mosfet and up side mosfet, just above the CPU socket.
For one thing, is this even a good idea? Like I said, I'm obsessed with maximum cooling efficiency. I don't, however, want to damage any of the components and want to be extra-cautious...
Anyways, if I do, I'll be picking up, you guessed it, Thermalright chipset and mosfet sinks to replace the stock Gigabyte system.
Has anyone had any experience with such an upgrade/mod? I'd love to hear your input.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
It's not really a bad idea, just watch that you don't interfere with airflow. Or even worse get a chipset cooler that overlaps your CPU HSF. Look into: Http://www.frozencpu.com/

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
It's not really a bad idea, just watch that you don't interfere with airflow. Or even worse get a chipset cooler that overlaps your CPU HSF. Look into: Http://www.frozencpu.com/

Solution

bilbat

Splendid
Frozen is an excellent source of cooling parts! I got a RAM cooler from them that was simply not available (as far as my research could tell me) anywhere else in the US... They also carry a wide selection of smallish fans (30-50 mm) which are necessary for chipset cooling, but are hard to come by (especially decent ones...) elsewhere.