Premium Cable & Sat HDTV on your PC...

HD_Guru

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
As an avid HTPC enthusiasts, I've been eagerly waiting for the cable and sat companies to deliver a premium HDTV PC tuner. We all got our hopes up with DirecTV...and cable-card is 'ho-hum'.

I believe I've found the answer however... with the Hauppauge HD PVR.
This USB video capture device records Component video (480i/p, 720p, 1080i) into AVCHD...complete with DD5.1. With the IR Receiver and Blaster...and integrated EPG, it effectively becomes a 'tuner'.

Cheers, -AT.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Yes, Hauppauge makes great tuners (I own the HVR1600 and 1800). However, they can only tune ClearQAM and OTA HD channels. The only way you can tune encrypted HD channels is with and ATI Digital Cable Tuner (they have an internal version and external version, both $200+). Hope this additional information helps.

HD_Guru

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Pls chk the spec's of the Hauppauge HD PVR...> http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

It records HD Analog ( from the Component Video Connectors ) up to 1080i. There is no DRM on Analog...therefore, you can record from any HD Analog source.

This in effect enables users to record from the Premium Cable, SAT, PS3 etc etc....onto their PCs !

Think about it...