Why is Core i7 920 better than Phenom 2 955

q_nanotubes

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
I just want to ask the question above...Core i7 clockspeed is lower, the amount of cache is the same but why does it performs better in most apps? I wonder how, I wonder why...

DMilardovich

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
Core I7 architecture is different to Phenom II architecture,
The frecuency (clockspeed) is not the most important factor anymore... Some differences:

I7 has more L3 Cache,
HT technology (which allows it to become an "" 8-Cores-CPU """ ),
A better memory controller system (Tri-Channel and up to 2000Mhz vs. Dual-Channel and up to 1600Mhz... right?),

By the way, there`s not a huge difference... It deppends on the software you use, on High-Res gaming they run very similar... But I7 is better in many other things.

I think it is mainly due to Intel's superior cache and prefetch design, and, given the core2 cores have higher IPC than K8's then all things now equal ... both now have an IMC ... then the i7 is slightly faster on most applications than K10.5.

i7 and K10.5 both have cores that are essentially based on their predecessors.

You don't throw away 10 years worth of effort sorting bugs out of a core unless the previous model was better ... its very hard to start from scratch.

That's why they threw the Pentium 4 away and reworked the Pentium 3 (mobile) to come up with core2. P3 had a higher IPC than P4 ... the pipes were a better design ... or could be improved moreso. The core2 cores are at the heart of the i7 ... some changes of course.

Sorry for the oversimplification ... very crude explanation.

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
In my opinion the Phenom II is still better value for money and fast enough for most. The Average user isn't going to really see a difference. Oh yeah Hyperthreading is a Gimmick, it still only has four processor cores.

loneninja

Distinguished

I'll agree since you can find Newegg combos and pick up a Phenom II 940, 4Gb (2x2) DDR2 1066, and a AM2+ motherboard for less than the I7 920 costs alone. Although AMD is going to be in trouble when the I5 is released.

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
phenom II is better value until the i7 price cuts come, and i5 will be just a bit cheaper than i7 is now so AMD doesn't really need to be worried.

I think Intel is making a mistake though by using larrabee as a GPU, if they used it as a CPU they would easily own the market but then I guess the EU would stomp down on them for taking out the competition.

q_nanotubes

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
thanks guys... So the i7 does better work per clockspeed but not better work per dollar?

Actually I'm gonna build a desktop in quarter three, so this helps me although i don't really understand what some of guys are saying. lol

My plan is:

MSI GD-70
Phenom II 955
2GB Corsair DDR3 1333 DHX
Corsair TX 650
2 X ATI Radeon 4770
Cooler Master CM 690

Are these things suitable?
And good value for money?

I just want to play games a lot because I have restrained my self from doing so for three or four years

While this is close, its a bit off. Core 2 is actually based off of the Pentium III Coppermine that was a desktop part. What happened was that during the Pentium 4 era is that Intel needed a good mobile offense against AMDs Athlon that was low power and decent performance.

What they did is they wrapped the Pentium III Coppermineinto a mobile package naming it the Pentium M.

What they saw (well the guys in Israel anyways) was that it would run better than a Pentium 4 and clock per clock it whomped it and Athlon like there was no tomorrow.

So they took what they learned from Pentium 4 (lets faces it, the P4s pipeline design was better since it gave the ability to clock higher than others it was just the rest of the arch that had leakage up the arse) and applied it to the Pentium M thus creating Core 2.

Core i7 is Core 2 with a lot of IPC enhancements, a IMC and QPI.

Its not HT. And it was a gimmick but SMT actually does give a nice performance boost. But yes the average user wont see any difference which is why a Pentium Dual Core E2200 is suffice for most average users.

Well that depends on the Core i5s performance. It may be something AMD might worry about.

And Larrabee is a bit different. The design of the processors for it re mainly for GPU applications. Of course they could be using their design based off of Terascale mixed with Core i7s SMT (I think its supposed to be 32 processors with 64 threads and each core is capable of so many shaders) which will be great since Terascale was completely modular.

That means they could have some of the processors be PPUs(Physic Processing Units) and link it with Havoks Physics engine since they now own havok.

And you are right. If they released a CPU like Terascale or Larrabee they would end up monopolizing the market and especially the server market. Terascale was shwon to be able to do the same job as 130 CPUs (it was only 80) and only used 62w @ full load @ 2.5GHz per core. And we all know Intel doesn't want that to happen or they will be broken up again which in the end is bad for us end users.

Well what do you plan on doing? For gaming thats a pretty decent rig right there although for me I would go with the HD4870 2GB but thats cuz I am crazy.

Also, do you know what OS you plan to use? If its XP 2GB of RAM is fine but if its Vista or even Windows 7 4GB+ is always better.

hefox

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
Helloworld_98....you really don't get the point, do you? Psycho showed you exactly that HT makes a difference. Look when HT is OFF and when is ON on the same processor and you can see the difference.

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
^ Yes but he also uses that same graph in situations where my point has more meaning.

And the extra bandwidth gives HT it's performance boost, drop the QPI down to 1600mhz and in theory there will be less difference between the i7 with HT and the Phenom II.

Asus 790FX AM3 / PhII 720BE: $320
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.190878

Anandtech: Phenom II X3 720BE & CrossFire X Performance
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3533&p=9

Need OS and gaming resolution to tighten things up ...

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009

I'm guessing this was aimed at me but until we fair out the playing field on the CPU's we won't actually know which one is faster clock for clock.

hefox

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
You want to compare apples with pears. You can't. The only thing that we care of is the performance. Real tests and the price that we are paying. It is the same thing when AMD had lower speed processor (Athlon 64) compare to Intel (Pentium 4 and D) but still were much better than Intel. In the end doesn't matter how big is the FSB, core speed, cache memory,etc. Is important how much processing power can provide.

randomizer

Champion
How is it fair to slow it down? I don't see the logic. Unless you slow the HyperTransport bus speed as well, then it's fair, because both are being restricted. Restricting one and not the other is not fair. By similar logic you could say "let's disable some of i7's cores and then it will compete evenly with Phenom II" :heink:

I agree with Random. Why would you lower the CPUs QPI and not the HTT? Do you not like seeing a lower speed CPU beat the pants off of a higher clocked CPU? It happens all the time (Athlon X2 vs Pentium D?)

Using your logic as well, we should lower Phenom and Phenom IIs HTT to match that of the FSB of a C2Q for a FAIR and EVEN comparison when looking at that.

And rey, you said it was mainly based off a mobile part. It wasn't. It was based off of the roots of the Pentium III (desktop). And the P4 had a much better pipeline arch it was just much longer. Intel took the pipeline abilities of P4, shortened the pipes and made a lot of enhancements to the IPC, cache and such based off of Pentium III.

Every process gen is in Core 2/Core i7 somehow. Just like I am sure every gen (K6/K6-II/K7/K8) is somewhere in Phenom II.