Sign in with
Your question

No sound !

Last response: in Motherboards
July 23, 2009 1:46:29 PM

Hey everyone,long time reader first time poster :) 
I'm having problems with my GA-K8NF9 Ultra F6 , I recently moved this mobo to another case and after I tried playing music there was no sound :S.
Also this is with a fresh install of windows xp sp2, everything looks fine software wise but this is what I did to install the drivers

-installed nforce drivers from the mobo cd (IDE,audio,video etc)
-installed nvidia video graphic drivers from their site for my 6200
-installed ac97 audio drivers (exe was named WDM_A406.exe)

btw onboard is enabled in the bios too!

More about : sound

a c 177 V Motherboard
July 23, 2009 2:38:26 PM

There are a few possibilites here:

Where are your speakers plugged in? Front panel or rear jacks?

Your new case may not support AC97 audio; most newer cases support HD_Audio, and some do both, but have a pair of plugs - you must select & plug in the correct one
Having the make and model of the case would hepl me here...

Page 24 of your manual:
F_AUDIO (Front Audio Panel Connector)
If you want to use Front Audio connector, you must remove 5-6, 9-10 Jumper. In order to utilize the front audio header, your chassis must have front audio connector. Also please make sure the pin assignments for the cable are the same as the pin assignments for the front audio header. To find out if the chassis you are buying support front audio connector, please contact your dealer. Please note, you can have the alternative of using front audio connector or of using rear audio connector to play sound.
Note: from the wording, I would infer that these are mutually exclusive...

The occasional poor sot has gotten a board with a dead, or noisy, rear jack; for newer boards, the fix is easy - with this one, we may need to poke about and experiment a little to see if the function is available, as in neither is it documented...

Have you followed the procedure on pages 79 through 82 of your manual to configure the sound?
July 23, 2009 2:50:23 PM

sorry for not providing enough info before but this is an old board I had and I just through it into a case lying in the house thinking it would work but obviously not.. and im using the rear jacks as this case doesnt have front jacks (if you mean by rear and front as the jacks located at the back of the computer and at the front). Also I located the F_AUDIO on my motherboard, it has 9 pins but the 4th one is missing on the 1st row :o  is that normal? oh and since i've had this mobo for awhile now I can't seem to find the manual now :cry: 
Related resources
July 23, 2009 3:20:04 PM

Your a life saver mate worked like a charm, I had a feeling it would be something to do with those jumpers I just couldn't understand it properly but thanks for the advice anyway . :) 
!