DMilardovich

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
Hi everybody!,

First of all, sorry for my English, I hope you understand everything hehe :)

Well, I`ll buy a new PC soon (before July) and I would like to ask you about the performance of it.

This is what I have in mind:

* Core I7 920
* Asus P6T / MSI x58M / ECS X58B-A / Zotac x58 (not decided yet)
* ATI 4870 1Gb (most probably Sapphire)
* 2Gb DDR3 1333Mhz OCZ Gold
* CoolerMaster eXtreme 600W
* A cheap case :D

I would like to know if it`s enought for run -Empire: Total War- at MAXIMUN settings (everything at max. including AA and AF) at a resolution of 2048x1152.

I repeat the same question for: Crysis, COD 5, Far Cry 2 and GTA IV.

On the other hand, the cost of the PC is U$s 1065 (wth the MSI x58M mobo, the cheapest... And not counting the case), do you think I should change something ?

Thanks for your time! :hello:

DMilardovich

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008

It`s not dual-channel, it`s single-channel.... I buy a single memory because of price, the idea is to upgrade it to a 6Gb tri-channel 2000Mhz DDR3 kit in near future, but noy now.

nerrawg

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
Just saw that you added in crysis, Far Cry 2 and GTA IV - truth on this is that no single card configuration can run all of those at max settings with the eye candy (AA and AF) cranked to max. This is a good overall article:
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3517

Looks like the minimum would be an OC'ed 4850 X2, 2 x 260's or 2 x 4870's - this would get you maxed out in almost anything - although crysis might actually need 2 x 275's for smooth play with AA and AF enabled. You would have to do some more research on this.

Ram is relatively cheap, and getting cheaper. Get a 4gb or 6gb kit up front. Wait until you can do so.
Ram is sold in kits of 4gb or 6gb for a reason. It is to insure that all sticks are identical. Ram can change specs from run to run, and cause problems, even though the label is the same.
Without at least 4gb, you are seriously restricting an otherwise fine PC.