Safe to fill SSD to near full capacity?

Hamburglar_ix

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Searching on google has yielded several different answers, would like to get something definitive.

I have a 60gb solid state drive that normally goes with a 500gb HDD. Windows and a few programs are on the SSD while most things are on the HDD. Well my HDD just died, and I have sent it in because it is still under warranty.

Meanwhile, I am looking to move 2 games that I play to my SSD because it is the only hard drive I have. This will fill it to within 4gb of capacity (in Windows, not 56 gb).

I have read in some places that it is ok to fill it to close to max capacity, while other places say that like an HDD, it should not be filled past 90%. So will I be okay for a few weeks like this? Thank you.

thestrangebrew

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I did a quick search and saw in the last post to this thread:

http://forums.dealmac.com/read.php?4,2882845

that it's not a good idea if you're going to be doing alot of writes to the drive. I don't know if games do lots of writes, but maybe if it does you may not want to fill it.

I don't see a lot of threads that say it's ok, so to be safe, you might want to back everything up before installing those games just in case.