Sign in with
Your question

Laptop Hard Drive broken?

Last response: in Storage
August 27, 2010 10:35:43 PM

For around a year now I've been having problems with my laptop hard drive.

It would start kinda jamming, making a clicking noise and basically freezing up my laptop. It would last for around 2 minutes, then stop and work normally. This would happen on and off, and then eventually after a few weeks/month would completely jam up, then when I restart, it would crash every time windows started up.

I could fix this by reformatting and it would work a few months, then repeat.

Now its completely buggered, I went to reformat again (despite wanting all my files) and it loaded up the disc, I select keyboard language, then the hard drive does the jamming noise. Then it stops after a minute, but the disc is just stuck non stop loading not making any progress, so I can't reformat.

I was wondering, can I use an external hard drive instead of my built in laptop one or would this not work? And I don't suppose there is a way to fix my hard drive unless taking all the laptop apart?

Thanks, Tom
August 27, 2010 10:45:53 PM

GamerTom said:
For around a year now I've been having problems with my laptop hard drive.

It would start kinda jamming, making a clicking noise and basically freezing up my laptop. It would last for around 2 minutes, then stop and work normally. This would happen on and off, and then eventually after a few weeks/month would completely jam up, then when I restart, it would crash every time windows started up.

I could fix this by reformatting and it would work a few months, then repeat.

Now its completely buggered, I went to reformat again (despite wanting all my files) and it loaded up the disc, I select keyboard language, then the hard drive does the jamming noise. Then it stops after a minute, but the disc is just stuck non stop loading not making any progress, so I can't reformat.

I was wondering, can I use an external hard drive instead of my built in laptop one or would this not work? And I don't suppose there is a way to fix my hard drive unless taking all the laptop apart?

Thanks, Tom

If a hard drive makes any sort of noise, other than a "whirring" or spinning sound, like any sort of harsh mechanical metal or metal click or squeel, its most likely on its way out or gone.

It would be possible to use a external drive for a boot drive, but would be a hassel as you would have to connect it to a working computer to install the OS to it and then set your laptop to boot to USB as the first choice.

As far as changing a laptop drive, its not that difficult of a procedure. Usually 2-4 screws max. Pop the old drive out, install the new one in the tray, slide it back in and secure it. (These are obviously very generic instructions as you did not provide a Laptop Make and Model).
August 27, 2010 10:52:20 PM

Thanks for the reply, I guess I will buy a new hard drive then for it.

Is there a way to recover my files off the old hard drive?
a b G Storage
August 28, 2010 4:51:14 AM

Probably not, unless you want to spend a lot of money. You could try and fit the faulty drive to an USB to SATA/IDE converter and see if you can recover the data that way.
!