Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Huge silent fans airflow against Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B?

Last response: in Overclocking
September 4, 2010 10:56:10 PM

I got a core i5 760 with a Mugen 2 Rev. B installed. It's an Asus P7P55D-E Pro motherboard.
I will be doing CF with 2 x Sapphire 5870.
I intend OC the 760 to not more than 4 gigs I guess.

I never thought about noise reduction in my builds to date. I have no idea how noisy are my 5870s, and no idea how noisy is the Mugen. I was looking for cases with huge fans that run slower and make less noise but good cooling.

Found these two from Thermaltake (Couldn't find cases from other makes that take 230mm fans):
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1407&ID=18...
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1390&ID=18...

Will such fan fit in together with my Mugen?
Do you think the mugen's fins might be blocking most of the intake from this side case fan (the plates are perpendicular to the air movement direction)?
Do you think I am better off considering a full front-to-end tunnel to accommodate for the Mugen's airflow direction?
If so, can you recommend?

Best solution

a c 183 K Overclocking
September 4, 2010 11:46:52 PM

The fan supplied with the Mugen is one of the quietest as far as supplied fans go.
And the largest fans you can fit on a Mugen are 120mm .
The ideal cooler mounting position is east/west with the air exhausting out the back thru the rear case exhaust fan.
Antec 900/902/1200 have excellent airflow and are well-known for it they feature 200mm 3speed top exhaust.
Cooler Master makes excellent cases too like the HAF and 690 series.
The HAF's have large fans 2x 200mm in the 922 and 3x 230mm in the 932.
I have Antec and CM cases they are better quality then Thermaltake but that's just my opinion.
I'm not a fan of side fans no pun intended.
September 5, 2010 12:06:48 AM

davcon said:
The fan supplied with the Mugen is one of the quietest as far as supplied fans go.
And the largest fans you can fit on a Mugen are 120mm .
The ideal cooler mounting position is east/west with the air exhausting out the back thru the rear case exhaust fan.
Antec 900/902/1200 have excellent airflow and are well-known for it they feature 200mm 3speed top exhaust.
Cooler Master makes excellent cases too like the HAF and 690 series.
The HAF's have large fans 2x 200mm in the 922 and 3x 230mm in the 932.
I have Antec and CM cases they are better quality then Thermaltake but that's just my opinion.
I'm not a fan of side fans no pun intended.

That's the thing. I was intentionally looking for a case with a less enthusiastic look. HAFs are way too much for me. 900 as well. I prefer to find something with no window spaceship looks.
The 690 looks nice.
I was also thinking of Antec 300.
I just would like to hear more about how they would compare with the Thermaltake V9 black.
m
l
Related resources
September 12, 2010 12:18:13 AM

Best answer selected by onn_e.
m
l
!