Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How to connect amplifier and speakers to pc

Last response: in Windows XP
July 23, 2011 10:24:06 AM

I want to play music stored on my pc on Windows media player and was doing so using an amp and speakers on loan from a friend. They needed to take them back, so I sought manufacturer's advice on what I would need to set up again. I bought a pair of Beng LB776 S floor standing speakers, skytronic 103 series karaoke amplifier, 2 x jack leads and speaker cable but cannot see from the very brief instructions that came with the amp. how to connect all of this up correctly as it didn't mention any of this information. I am not an expert so I need to be told in detail exactly what goes where and what it should look like. Please help.
July 23, 2011 1:02:33 PM

patrick180g said:
I want to play music stored on my pc on Windows media player and was doing so using an amp and speakers on loan from a friend. They needed to take them back, so I sought manufacturer's advice on what I would need to set up again. I bought a pair of Beng LB776 S floor standing speakers, skytronic 103 series karaoke amplifier, 2 x jack leads and speaker cable but cannot see from the very brief instructions that came with the amp. how to connect all of this up correctly as it didn't mention any of this information. I am not an expert so I need to be told in detail exactly what goes where and what it should look like. Please help.

This may help: http://www.ehow.com/how_4827378_hook-up-floor-speakers-...
Score
Related resources
July 24, 2011 8:20:29 AM

I have connected everything as per the e-How instructions - speakers correctly wired up and pc output connected to audio input on amp. Have tried both sets of audio input sockets on amp; one marked DVD/CD and one marked TUNER - that's all there is, but I'm not getting any sound. Is there something else I need? There are two ports on the front of the amp marked USB/SD but no mention in instructions of this having anything to do with it, or of anything extra being needed. What could I have done wrong here? Any suggestions welcome.
Score
July 24, 2011 8:33:46 AM

How do things look in control panel, sounds & audio ?

Also device manager, Hardware ? Proper device drivers installed ?
Score
July 24, 2011 9:20:21 AM

ksiemb said:
How do things look in control panel, sounds & audio ?

Also device manager, Hardware ? Proper device drivers installed ?

Thanks for this. Yes, have made thorough check and everything is enabled and working and compatible, so unsure where to go from here. Thanks.
Score
July 24, 2011 7:34:49 PM

Do you get audio when using headphones?

Why don't you just get speakers made for computers? There are plenty of very good quality speakers. M-Audio AV40 speakers are super sounding, probably the best for the price for sound quality. The THX Logitech series are also very good.
Score
July 25, 2011 6:13:20 AM

hang-the-9 said:
Do you get audio when using headphones?

Why don't you just get speakers made for computers? There are plenty of very good quality speakers. M-Audio AV40 speakers are super sounding, probably the best for the price for sound quality. The THX Logitech series are also very good.

Thanks for the suggestions; I don't have headphones so have not yet tried, but it would be useful as a diagnostic test. The speakers I have just bought are very good quality and should work with my pc - because the ones I was using from my friend worked [they were not pc speakers] but I will try them with a CD player to establish that the speakers are not causing the problem. Thanks
Score

Best solution

July 25, 2011 2:14:15 PM

patrick180g said:
Thanks for the suggestions; I don't have headphones so have not yet tried, but it would be useful as a diagnostic test. The speakers I have just bought are very good quality and should work with my pc - because the ones I was using from my friend worked [they were not pc speakers] but I will try them with a CD player to establish that the speakers are not causing the problem. Thanks

I doubt it's the speakers that are causing the issue, but rather the pre-amp getting the signal from the PC or an issue with the output on the PC. Are you using the Line Out, or Headphone out to run the external amp? Keep in mind that the signal coming out of a regular CD player, or whatever, that home stereo equipment is made to run, is not the same as what the PC sends out. For example, I hooked up my Logitech powered computer speakers to my TV sound out, the sound even at high volume was very very weak. While this is kinda the reverse of what you are trying, it's the same type of issue you need to watch for.
July 25, 2011 3:31:47 PM

hang-the-9 said:
I doubt it's the speakers that are causing the issue, but rather the pre-amp getting the signal from the PC or an issue with the output on the PC. Are you using the Line Out, or Headphone out to run the external amp? Keep in mind that the signal coming out of a regular CD player, or whatever, that home stereo equipment is made to run, is not the same as what the PC sends out. For example, I hooked up my Logitech powered computer speakers to my TV sound out, the sound even at high volume was very very weak. While this is kinda the reverse of what you are trying, it's the same type of issue you need to watch for.

Thanks, yes you're right it's not the speakers, and I'm using Line Out on pc. I think it's actually the connections that are not working - even though I bought speaker cable and jacks recommended for compatibility with the amp and speakers. Finally opted to call in a technician who will be with me on Thursday - iif he can help me sort this out it will be well worth it to me. Being female I'm not afraid to ask for help!! Thanks for your trouble posting replies.
Score
August 1, 2011 5:34:01 AM

Thanks to everyone who has taken the trouble to reply to my query. It was the holes for connections that were not well finished [there was metal blocking the openings] and something else with the pc. Took technician 30 minutes to sort, but now up and running and better than what I had before, so problem now solved!
Score
August 1, 2011 5:34:57 AM

Best answer selected by patrick180g.
Score
August 10, 2011 4:47:12 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!