Sign in with
Your question

New To Liquid Cooling - Help building

Last response: in Overclocking
September 5, 2010 12:46:41 AM

Hi guys, I'm looking for a water cooling system that'll cool down my radeon 4870 ( http://www.eworldsale.com/images/products/computer/vide... ) that has a stock cooler and idles at 60 and in full load up to 90 in an antec 900 case. The reason I want to go with liquid cooling is first, it looks so damn cool, and second, I want to be exposed to new things instead of buying an aftermarket gpu cooler which I've done in the passed.

I don't want to spend anymore than 100 bucks since I'm buying the newest 890fx mobo soon
Thanks
a b K Overclocking
September 5, 2010 6:11:43 AM

voltaic1008 said:
Hi guys, I'm looking for a water cooling system that'll cool down my radeon 4870 ( http://www.eworldsale.com/images/products/computer/vide... ) that has a stock cooler and idles at 60 and in full load up to 90 in an antec 900 case. The reason I want to go with liquid cooling is first, it looks so damn cool, and second, I want to be exposed to new things instead of buying an aftermarket gpu cooler which I've done in the passed.

I don't want to spend anymore than 100 bucks since I'm buying the newest 890fx mobo soon
Thanks

O boy..first of all your card probably doesn't need water block(reapply thermal grease-MX2 or MX3) ,but if you insist, that 100 bucks my get you just water block for your card and some change for distiled water....
September 5, 2010 6:55:54 AM

Unfortunately ortoklaz in right. Watercooling is expensive, and a GPU waterblock runs about 100-150 alone. A decent loop is about 300, which includes tubing, fittings, pump, waterblock, and res.

And don't even think about trying to find stuff cheap, in the watercooling business 99% of the time, the cheaper the crappier. No sense risking your nice expensive computer on the chance that an inferior watercooling component might fail early and kill it all.

But like ortoklaz said you can try reapply the thermal paste and reseat the heatsink. That or buy a good aftermarket air cooler for it. Bout all you can do on such a tight budget.
a c 324 K Overclocking
September 7, 2010 2:11:24 PM

^Agreed. You can easily spend $100 on a GPU block alone. A good pump will run you almost $80, a CPU block...$60-$75. Add in your radiators (likely needing at least one big one, or a couple 220's) you are easily looking at over $300 for a single CPU+GPU loop. Please avoid those cheap, colorfully boxed 'kits'; they won't provide you the cooling you think you'll be getting and will likely fail sooner rather than later.

I'd first check into an aftermarket air cooler for your card...somewhere along the lines of $45-$60.
!