Sign in with
Your question

I replaced my CPU and now it won't boot

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
May 17, 2009 5:44:00 PM

Hi everybody, I am in hot water here. My computer is about 2 years old now. I have an Asus p5n-e sli mobo, 500w pwer supply, 2gigs of gskill, 7600gt, and had a 2.8ghz pentium D. I bought a 8300 quad core, 9800gt, and 2more gigs of gskill. I installed them all yesterday and when I turned it on it would not boot. The fans were turning and I could here it power up, but the beep never happened and it was just a black screen. So I took the memory out and tried that. then I took the new video card out and put the old one in, still nothing. Then I put the old processor in and it booted up fine... for about 10 seconds and then turned off. I can get it to boot with the old processor, but not for long. I am thinking somehow I screwed up my mobo doing something, or maybe a bad processor fried it. If anyone could give me some guidance I would really appreciate it.

More about : replaced cpu boot

a b à CPUs
May 17, 2009 6:16:59 PM

Your motherboard doesn,t support that processor, therefore it wont run.
http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLan... SLI&product=1&os=24

Make sure you have cleaned the old thermal paste and applied new paste to old CPU or it will overheat and shutoff. Dont boot without the heatsink.
m
l
May 17, 2009 6:53:17 PM

Looks like your computer supports quads up to the Q6700, and C2D's to the E8600. Its not compatible and won't work!
m
l
!