Overclocking killed RAM?pc works but getting random BSod.

darksmart

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
My friend accidentally set the RAM frequency to 1066 in the bios of his biostar 785 mobo.after that he rebooted but pc was unable to boot.so he did the cmos rset(jumper method).then pc booted successfully and he set bios to default but since then,he is used to get Blue screen of death after some time of operation.Though the pc runs very fine for some time,can even play games like gta 4.but gives BSod randomly.could it be the ram or some other problem?

specs-
Phenom x6 1055t
2gb transcend jetram
biostar 785 mobo
radeon hd4850
windows 7 32 bit
coolermaster real power 850w

darksmart

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010

We did a memtest using usb version.It says "test complete no errors.press escape to exit".
does it mean that some other hardware has malfunctioned?or should we try reinstalling windows 7.Also we have placed the ram in the slot previously it was.

Your results indicate the RAM is fine. Have your friend record the error code(s) on the BSOD(s), and post them here.

I would also check Device Manager looking for yellow question marks or exclamation points - resolve any shown. If there are none, then try to determine what your friend is doing - the programs and processes he's using when he gets the BSODs. Make sure he is running only one anti-virus program.

You could reinstall W7, but it sounds like he may have the same situation he has now. Of course, if nothing else works, then do the re-install.

Depends. Probably not in his case because the RAM passed memtest86+. Sometimes a DIMM slot goes bad. And sometimes a RAM stick goes bad. Memory is difficult to diagnose - that's why memtest86+ is so helpful.

Has he updated drivers recently, espeically video card drivers? Those can cause BSODs.

His problem is not from OCing his RAM.
I wonder if his electrical service could be coming into play. I don't know where you are, but this summer we've had occasional brown-outs and voltage spikes in SE Virginia from everyone constantly running the air conditioing. I use a battery backup that saves me from getting BSODs from a problem-electric service (and also tells me when those events occur).

darksmart

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
may be not.plus we all use ups,surge protectors.the problem starting showing up right after overclocking.the cpu was turning on but monitor remains off and no boot up.
even after resetting cmos,the the pc booted up but after some time,we were getting Bsod.it happened 3 times.and then we decided to put the ram in the previous slot.and that solved probs.
cannot understand why that happned?