Sign in with
Your question

Need help picking a Mobo for my new i7-920

Last response: in Motherboards
July 23, 2009 9:08:52 PM

OK here's the deal. I want to build a new computer using the core i7-920 as the 1st building block. I was inspired by the $1300 enthusiast builder marathon to start. But I have never built a computer before so I have no idea what I'm doing. Normally I would just use the part list that Tom's Hardware used but I don't want a micro case. So here I am having to decide for myself... with verly little knowledge/experiance.

I plan on using the $1300 computer as a guide... especially with cost. The costs suit me perfectly.

I've seen this to help me out:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/x58-motherboard-i7,...

and it seems that since I plan on overclocking, the EVGA’s X58 3X SLI is perfect. But then I noticed this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-4770-crossfi...

According to that it seems the two Radeon HD 4770s will destroy the 2 x BFG GeForce GTX 260 OC in SLI so maybe I don't want that board. Maybe I want a board with crossfire instead of SLI and then I could use the saved money($340-$220 would save me a good chunk of change) for something else? Maybe a better motherboard. I dunno. Maybe SLI is the better option. I wish I knew more.

I know a lot of people on here like to dream about the ideal PC... simply do that for me, with the stated requirements, and someone will get me going. If any of my assumptions are off then let me know and correct them. Brainstorm with me. THANKS!

More about : picking mobo 920

a c 236 V Motherboard
July 23, 2009 11:22:33 PM

Quote:
According to that it seems the two Radeon HD 4770s will destroy the 2 x BFG GeForce GTX 260 OC in SLI so maybe I don't want that board.
Since that motherboard supports CrossFire as well as SLI, what is it that you don't like about it?
July 24, 2009 3:13:14 PM

very good point... well I guess that is the board I'm getting! I should have done mroe research.
Related resources
July 24, 2009 3:45:27 PM

I just built my first computer using a Biostar mobo. I got it working ok but I've also heard horror stories. If you don't know what you're doing, go for a Gigabyte. They have a two bios backup system. So even if you screw up the first you can just move a jumper around and it'll auto recover.

The most important thing in building a pc is getting it working. Who cares about specs when it doesn't even post?
July 24, 2009 5:31:34 PM

If you don't know what your doing then definitely buy the EVGA X58. They have a whole community of people on their boards that go out of their way to help newbies get up and running. Their tech support is 24/7 365 and costs nothing.
July 24, 2009 7:48:51 PM

roofus said:
If you don't know what your doing then definitely buy the EVGA X58. They have a whole community of people on their boards that go out of their way to help newbies get up and running. Their tech support is 24/7 365 and costs nothing.

Yeah I read about that. Thats another reason the EVGA board makes perfect sense. I can be as stupid as I am AND still be undecisive on wanting either SLI or crossfire. Absolutely perfect.

Thanks for all of those who have helped!
!