wipcguy

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
I could not find a logical category to put this apparent behemoth of a question in:

Background:

I am moving my desktop rig to the living room, where I will use it as a desktop w/ a 24" FP LCD, but will also run it over to my 42" plasma & theater receiver, via HDMI, for an HTPC.

I would like to be able to use two seperate keyboards & mice: one set for when I'm sitting at the console working, and the other for kicking back on the couch, navigating digital content. Obviously, the couch keyboard/mouse is going to have to be wireless and I've read great things about RF, which makes sense, I'd prefer radio over line-of-sight.

My problem:

How can I have two seperate input devices like keyboards & mice? There's going to be conflict there, I bet, unless the remote is USB and the console is PS/2? I don't know. Anyone have some insight here? I'd be darn grateful!

I don't think I'm looking for anything like a KVM switch, am I? Do they make those for remote devices?

Thanks in advance,

Jay

You mention working, but not gaming. Why not use a single wireless set, and just pick it up and take it to the couch when necessary?
I'm not sure about two keyboards, but two mice ought to work. I've got a trackball plugged into my PS/2 port, and my G5 plugged into a USB port, and both will work.
Really, the trackball is only there because left-clicking it will turn my PC on, which won't work with a USB mouse or keyboard, but I used to use it with Unreal Tournament without issues.

michiganteddybear

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
you can use multiple keyboards/mice on one pc without issues, most of the time.

dont even have to disable one to use the other. I frequently have multiple usb or a usb and a ps2 connection setup.

wipcguy

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
Thank you all for your responses.

I might be feelin' the Hardware Profiles, have to look into it. It's Vista Ultimate 64, if that matters.

I don't game (yet, lol). I want to *not* use a traditional mouse when remote controlling from the couch, so something like a Gyration/Airmouse setup, or at the very least a keyboard w/ touchpad, I dont' want to have to use a table for a mouse.

But, when I'm not using the machine as an HTPC, it will be my NLE & all the other crap I do-box. -This I'll sit at, elsewhere near my living room, with a 24" LCD attached to it, and I'd like the keyboard/mouse here to be wired for reliability & accuracy (& not having to replace batteries).

With me?

BigBurn

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008

Im not sure, but I think there is a setting in the BIOS to always power usb keyboard so you can power up with it.

And to anwser the OP, I have been using 2 keyboards on my computer for a while so I can play with friends at stepmania or dynasty warriors.

wipcguy

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
Alright well I will take all of you up and just proceed as planned.

Thanks again, my brothers in tech-arms.

Now, how do I close this mother?