[Monitor] Not sure if this belongs here, but I need some help.

Helltech

Distinguished
I don't know much about monitors, but what I do know is I need an upgrade. I have a BenQ FP91G+ monitors that is like 6 years old. I deffinatly want a size upgrade, latency upgrade, widescreen, and resolution upgrade. I mainly play video games, but I don't have the lights on so I don't think a glossy screen would be bad. I also don't want to spend more then 300 dollars. I'm looking at this, but I'm not sure if its good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009125

Reviews seem good, but a lot of bleeding comments. So I'm not sure. I was looking at the Samsung T220 (or what ever those are), but I want a higher max resolution then they have.

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
i have the samsung T240. basically the same thing but bigger. it's an excellent monitor, as long as you won't be using it with a game console. there's no way to preserve the 16:9 aspect ratio. it'll always be stretched to 16:10, which does have a noticable vertical streching effect.

Zenthar

Distinguished
My 2 cents: you are aware of the performance hit that games can sustain from higher resolution, right? Going from a 1280x1024 monitor to a 1920x1200 can mean the difference between a 100-150$ video card and a 200-300$ video card.

Helltech

Distinguished

No all my consoles are hooked up to my TV. At any rate, will there be a lot streching with this one and pc games?

Jack64

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I can't speak for other games but COD4 and COD5 both look amazing...I have the Samsung 2493HM, which is like the 240T and those two games do not stretch they scale really well keeping the game looking natural....At least to my old eyes. Oh and I have the GTX 295 if that matters.

Some older games have problems with that resoloution, in some cases that can be corrected by altering the games configuration files or patching.
Just one point on the monitor, it`s TN and 6 bit colour, you might want to try and see it working, particularly if you plan on watching movies on it .